Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing Gas Grill

Posted by scubadiana (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 3, 07 at 12:07

We are building a new home and have an outdoor living area we are selecting a gas grill for. My husband had picked out the Weber Summit Platinum D4 Built-In Gas Grill but we just discovered Weber has discontinued this! So we need to find another gas grill. We are considering built in and stand alone, but are leaning towards a built in from a looks prospective.

I looked at some threads on the Sams Club Members mark grill but they seam to be from years ago. Also saw some kudo's for Virco. Any suggestions from those of you with built in gas grills? Any updates about Virco or Member's Mark Grills?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing Gas Grill

Any feedback on Cal Flame or Barbeques Galore Turbo?

o

I have a Viking which I love. It is very deep, never has flare ups, heats evenly and the rotisserie is heavy-duty. There is also a dedicated burner for the smoker which hold the large chunks of wood, not just chips. When you're not smoking, a regular grill grate sits in its place.

We used it at Christmas to cook a 15 pound turkey on the rotisserie with pecan wood chunks. It was yummy.

o

A friend has one of the Sams SS models. It looks impressive but for some reason the SS grill doesn't seam to want to leave any decent grill marks on the meat. I have a Viking cooktop in my kitchen and wouldn't trade it for anything else. If price has no bearing, I would go with a Viking simply for the quality and reputation.

o

I've had the Weber E-310 since last March and think it works wonderfully.

o

I too need to buy a new grill. I am replacing my old Weber. First I thought that I would buy a Weber Genesis, but I really want a larger grilling surface--especially if I'm going to spend so much money. The grate is 25" x 19" on the Genesis and the price is about $800 to $850 depending on which options you choose. It has 3 burners.

One appliance store is getting a "close out" shipment of Ducane 5400 Stainless LP Gas Grills. This has 5 burners compared with 3 on Genesis. It also has a larger grilling surface (620 sq." vs approx. 500 sq.") I don't have the exact grate dimensions, but let's estimate for now that it is about 31 sq." x 20 sq."). Is this a smart purchase or some ploy by the salesman to dump inventory? (He does have the Weber too.)

Also, I liked the specs on a Charmglow (Charglow?) model #720-0578 that I saw at Home Depot this morning. It has five 10,000 BTU burners and the grate measures approx. 33 sq." x 20 sq.". The grate is porcelain-coated cast iron on this one vs. stainless on the other two. Price is $500.

To get the larger grate on a weber grill the price jumps to $1,800 or so, which is out of my price range.

Any wisdom/experience/opinions to share?

o

I strongly suggest something with a searing or infraed grill. I bought a Tec last month and I absolutly love the way it makes the meat taste. Plus the infrared will get so hot you can simply turn it all the way up and it will burn most of the gunk right off the SS grill so there's little to clean. You can take the SS off of the Tec and use the glass plate unserneath for water soaked wood chips and add a smokey taste to your food. if you like thoose grill marks on your food it's perfect for that SS or no. I spent weeks picking out what I thought was the best deal for the money but whatever you get go infraed.

o

Thanks floyd devoid--I have just started looking into the infrared technology and am very intrigued by all the hype. I found a Kenmore infrared that might be a good option. Have you been cooking with all infrared or just one infrared searing burner and regular gas as well? The option I'm looking at uses ALL infrared and I wonder which is the way to go? Thanks for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here