Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire pit vs barbecue

Posted by tropical_thought (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 11:06

The difference between a fire pit and a barbecue is the lid or cover. I saw a nice fire pit at osh, expect it has cut out moons and stars. That's cute, but would that be good? Does that let the fire breathe?

I know nothing about barbecues. I got a tiny Weber once for like 20 dollars, it took like 6 hours to cook a chicken. It was a total waste of money. So, I want to go for a bigger model, but do you really need a lid if you are not smoking the meat? Could you just throw a lid on to a fire pit provided you found a lid and it fit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire pit vs barbecue

I like a firepit, tried grills, charcoal and gas and didn't care for either. I use a tripod or an oven rack, have a ton of cast iron cookware, also mountain pie irons and of course hot dog forks. It might take a little more time, you have to start the fire earlier to let it burn down to nice red coals but it's easy to slide food to sides for less heat and the center for more heat. Never used a lid. When I cook a whole duck or chicken I butterfly the bird then it cooks faster than whole.

o
RE: Fire pit vs barbecue

I ended up with a portable grill so I could move it more easily for basement storage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here