Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking with Infrared gas barbecues

Posted by jillypie (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 06 at 0:38

Today a DCS salesman told us that the Tec infrared grills cook great at high heat, but can't be turned down. He said DCS with its "glass radiants" but still blue flame was the way to go. I have spent months on Kitchen stuff- I am now officially brain dead. So I would love to hear from people who have actually cooked on the various types of outdoor grills. Pretty please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking with Infrared gas barbecues

Especially for beef, high heat is where its at. Infrared is wonderful for that -- VASTLY superior to gas. It can be turned down slightly, but is not as controllable as gas. Gas is more controllable but doesn't get hot enough to do a serious job.

There are grills that have infrared elements one side for searing and gas on the other for finishing or for chicken and other items that do better with slower cooking. They are expensive. Google "infrared" and you'll quickly see the players.

I have a little Solaire-clone infrared. It cost about $200.00. Element large enough for about two steaks -- no more. Better than charcoal, mesquite, or anything else for the purpose. Really superb searing. Very high heat output. That's why Ruth's Cris and many other steak-houses use infrared.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here