Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Vanity Stain - Help me choose!

blackchamois
11 years ago

I am trying to decide on a stain for my vanity. Originally I was going to do white, but I'll have white cabs in my kitchen and wanted to do something different.

Here are the other elements of my guest bathroom that you see in the photo:
Fabric - shower curtain
Paint - BM Bleeker Beige at 50%
White subway tile - tub/shower
Penny Rounds - shower border and niche
Floor tile (bottom of pic)
RH Grafton clear glass pull in polished chrome

The doors/drawer on the vanity will be a shaker style.

Which vanity stain do you like best, and why?

Thank you!

Pic #1 in this post
Pic #2 in next post

Comments (11)

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic #2 ...

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Definitely #1 for me. I love the warmth of the color and the higher contrast it provides. #2 is nice but I think it blends in too much and isn't as visually interesting with your other materials.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Do you like a lot of contrast in things? I usually do, but I am liking your second picture; more soft and gentle looking to me. Either way it will be a good color comb.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Either one will look equally good, but if I had to choose one, I am drawn to #1 more.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

Number 1 appeals to me - like the warmth and the contrast. But I quite like #2 as well; it's a more unusual choice, and the stain looks great with the floor tile. I don't like it as much up against the shower curtain, but since it won't be placed there, I think it would work.

(love those Grafton pulls and the pennyrounds!)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Love your choices! I would choose #1, it's warm, classic and I like the interesting contrast. But it would be great to know who this bathroom is for, and what the style of our house is. I think #1 would be great for any home and an adult, kids or guest bath though. #2 feels just a tiny bit more youthful and/or country, just a wee bit.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the comments!

Treasure - I wouldn't say I like a LOT of contrast - not too dramatic, but I definitely like some. A good balance.

kmcg - There will be a LOT of white in the bathroom. My tub surround is all the way to the ceiling with white subway and a border of pennyrounds at the top that you can't see in this pic.

phylhl - The guest bath is off the hall across from the guest bedroom. I live alone in a two bedroom condo so it doesn't get much use - just guests of course, or by me if my folks come to visit (I usually let them take the master). My place is getting a complete overhall, but I'd say my style is classic/casual. If I had to compare it to some well known stores, I'd say mainly Pottery Barn with a touch of Restoration Hardware and Z Gallerie glam - just a touch. :)

• Gracie
    11 years ago

This is our next project too. I like the contrast of the darker stain, but I might like the lighter one with a darker shower curtain. What are you using for countertops?

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mayflowers - Thanks! I forgot to mention that. I will either do Carrera or Calacatta for counters. I'd like Calacatta as I think it typically has more golds in it, but would be fine with Carrera too.

Also, if this has any relevance, here is a picture of my wood floors (hall outside the bathroom as well as LR, DR, Kitchen) in relation to the vanity stain colors. The largest/darker one are the wood floors. (The floors in the bathroom, however, will be the tile in the first two pics).

I had also considered, if I were to go with the lighter stain, that I could frame the mirror in something darker to provide some contrast.

Thanks!!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Count me in as loving #1 also! and, I still love it with the hall floors.

• leenamark
    11 years ago

Even I like the #1 because of the contrast in the colors but #2 is also not that bad, it would also look good because of the unique color combination.