Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom2010

Flooring to go with white shower walls

laurensmom2010
9 years ago

Looking for flooring suggestions to coordinate with white tiled shower walls. Probably white subway tiles unless I find something larger

Looked at Houzz but there doesn't seem to be info on the products used

Photos and product names! Please and thanks.

Comments (19)

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I don't like white ceramic flooring, too 1980's/dated...but tan or maybe a grey marble basketweave....? Adds just a little contrast....

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

I have been looking at shower photos for what seems like forever. Gravitating towards white subway myself but concerned about amount of grout lines.

I've seen just about everything with white subway - you can add an accent strip of tiling in the walls to pick up on your choice for flooring.

• gmp3
    9 years ago

I put dark wood look tiles on the floor in my bathroom and love the contrast with the white tile. I also like that it won't lock me into any color scheme in the future.

• bowbat
    9 years ago

We have white subway tile shower walls, and used marble basketweave on the shower floor and a medium-gray porcelain tile on the bathroom floor.

• aiallega
    9 years ago

I'm using Daltile Continental slate porcelain tile in Asian Black 3X3 with white subway tiled shower walls. It's not grouted yet but so far I like it. The tile has some texture to it that I hope will prevent any slipping. My main floor is a marble basketweave.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

I have been carting around my material samples in my purse lately and have learned that my gray and white swanstone shower material clashes a lot with some porcelain carrara-look floor tile. It looks like I was trying to match and just missed. So I moved to gray and dark gray late-look and found that I really like that look. If you want the classic bathroom from the 1920s onward, go with a white and black (or carrara and black) basket weave or hex or penny round.

The white walls and carrara-look floor in 12 x 24 or larger tiles will give you a luxurious, modern spa-like feel. The slate or gray floors can give you either a modern or classic look, depending on the size and shape and pattern of the floor tile. Look at Enduring's downstairs bathroom (the one with the soapstone sink she made) with the herringbone slate floor pattern. Such a wow factor in what can be a floor that in another configuration falls into the background! There is a lot you can do with the black/white/gray combo. It is timeless in a lot of ways, but also very evocative. Go on Houzz and look at white with black and gray bathrooms and you will see what I mean. I am in love with the Art Deco look, myself! White tiles (they used 6x6 square glossy tiles here in Detroit in the 1930s), black sanitary base tiles, black chair rail or top ogee molding tiles with a thin black line of half-round or pencil molding circling the room and outlining features like windows or the shower backdrop, sometimes even with fancy "frame" designs. Makes me want to go paint a toilet seat gloss black!

Here is a link that might be useful: Enduring's downstairs bath

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

We're not finished with our remodel, but for our white subway tile shower/bath combo (and white grout, and then all the other walls have the same tile 4' up from the floor) I chose charcoal grey large format rectangle tile with matching grout.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Another one here with white subway tub/shower walls and gray porcelain floors.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

We have white ceramic shower walls (Daltile Polaris 6"x8", Daltile Rittenhouse Square 3"x6" or Daltile 6"x6"), white 2"x2" hex shower floors (Cepac), 12"x12" soapstone tile bathroom floors.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Unless the walls have color, I generally recommend a neutral. Anything from an off-white or gray all the way to a dark gray or charcoal. I try to avoid pure whites and blacks on shower floors.

Same as luvscritters, in my own master bath I have DAL Continental Slate in Asian Black on the shower floor.

• laurensmom2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've just brought home a white hexagonal sample with a small diamond of gray and one of black. Just to see how white tiles would look. The issue with it is the placard shows slip at >.40 which I believe is slippery. Isn't that below recommended? Or am I reading that wrong?
    Plus, in addition to that the breakage is listed at >250. Doesn't that mean it breaks easily? Tile salesperson said no since it's small it's less slippery due to grout lines and would be harder to break since it's small. It does seem thinner than other tiles I've looked at.
    I really like the soft gray floors I've seen for the most part. But they didn't have any sample placard to bring home. In fact other than marble I didn't see much gray at all. No basket weave or hex or penny tiles. I keep seeing those in the Houzz photos but they never have tile names listed (or hardly ever).

The dark floors are nice contrast in the photos. I hadn't looked at really solid darks. I was looking at dark beiges but I've changes my mind. For the tenth time!

Bowbat do you have a photo? I do like that look. I wonder if basket weave comes in porcelain?. That would be really nice looking for a shower floor. Is marble less slippery? What kind of slip number does it have?

Arapaho, I'm also concerned about all the grout lines of subway tiles. My old tiles had grout that was a real pain to keep clean. Makes me cringe just remembering it! But new grout is better I hope? I've read about epoxy based grout and hoping that will work. Otherwise I'll regret the choice.

• bowbat
    9 years ago

laurensmom2010 - I have no idea about the slip rating on the marble, though I can tell you I don't find it to be slippery at all. The only caution I would give you on it is that it is a natural, porous stone, so you have to be okay with color variation.

Here is a photo when we made our selections and another of it in place. It looks a bit yellower in place only due to my camera phone/lighting.

{{gwi:2133880}}

{{gwi:2133881}}

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I don't have white but have cream subways and med tone wood look porcelain tile floor with expresso grout. I wanted something underfoot that would hide human and pet hair.

• itltrot
    9 years ago

We are doing larger subway tiles 4x12 to minimize some grout lines. Hope to finally lay our shower floor tomorrow. We are going with a 2x2 that is gray/blue depending on the lighting with a similar gray grout. The main bathroom has wood look tile. If we get the floor laid, I'll post a pic.

• laurensmom2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Itltrot. Did you get your floor done yet? Have a photo to share?

• itltrot
    9 years ago

The tile is in but not grouted. I had surgery last week and we've not done anything. It looks awful due to the redgard on the walls reflecting on it. At least I hope that's what's happening because my gray/blue tiles look taupe. I hope to work on it this weekend.

I'll take a picture of the extra tiles in some none red tinted lighting.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

bowbat - your bathroom looks very nice. Do you mind sharing the product information on the flooring and counter top? Thanks - RT

• bowbat
    9 years ago

RT - the floor is Emilceramica Stone Box in Bright Grey, and the countertop is Caesarstone Ocean Foam.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!