Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naro_gw

American Bath Factory airbath vs Victoria and Albert soaker

NaRo
12 years ago

I like a relatively deep soaker tub, and since the windows in our master-bathroom-to-be come close to the floor, a standalone works better than a drop-in with a deck. I like a pedestal look.

I like the Victoria and Albert York tub; have seen it and sat in it in a showroom and found it comfy, and the water depth to overflow is 16 1/4 which seems decent. If we use V and A's drain and overflow and get Barclay or similar for the tub-mounted faucet and handshower, it should run 2800 or 2900 for everything. The website says capacity to overflow is 73 gallons and I'm wondering if they mean over the top or to the overflow drain? It's a narrow tub, relatively, so I can't imagine it holds that much water!

The sales person got me thinking about an air bath. I found a great deal on an American Bath Factory air bath that's 15 to overflow. With all the faucets/plumbing and the tub itself, $1800. The one thing I don't like is that I cannot find an American Bath Factory tub to look at or "try on" in person-- none of the dealers have actual tubs in stock in Atlanta.

This master bath is being added because a tree smashed our house, and as long as the insurance company has to replace walls, floors, and roof anyway, the marginal cost of turning what was once an attic space over a short wing into a master bath and closet isn't too bad. But since this wasn't a planned renovation-- we're doing it on the tree's schedule, not ours-- I don't want to go hog wild on the spending. At the same time, this is our lifetime house, and I want to choose items that will serve us well for years. It's a balancing act.

Other thoughts: the V and A has a 25 year warranty... the ABF has a weird little motor that sits next to the tub, and I can't find any reviews of the "champagne massage" action or American Bath Factory Baths in general. Another factr: our water heater is 50 gallons.

Any guidance, especially from anybody with experience with either of these lines, would be appreciated. I'm really agonizing over this, and I need to tell the plumber where to put the drain soon.

Comments (14)

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

My only input is that 15" is not very deep for a soaker tub.

• NaRo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm actually having a hard time finding a deep soaker tub for a reasonable price in a six-foot tub. Ideas appreciated.

• skatermom
    12 years ago

victoria and alberts tubs are the bomb! I love ours and it holds the heat so well, it seems very deep and very comfy, I wouldn't choose anything else!

Good Luck,

• NaRo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Skatermom, which one do you have, may I ask? I'm liking the looks of the York.

• skatermom
    12 years ago

I like the york, in fact I love everyone of their tubs!

We got the richmond because that is the size that worked in our space and I like the white feet b/c it looks classic. Our bathroom is so smallso we felt we needed legs to make the tub "float" and make our room look bigger, i hope that makes sense!

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

We have the Victoria + Albert York. It is very deep. I can't imagine it being any deeper or else it would be so hard to get in and out of. At first I really, really wanted the MTI Linda tub, was just in love with that tub plus you could get radiant heat in it along the back where you lean. I sat in it at Ferguson's and it was nice but honestly, it was sooo expensive and it's just crazy to spend $6-7K on a bathtub. I think the lowest I found it without the heat was in the mid $3K range. Still out of reach with all the other stuff to buy, too. That is what led me to the Victoria + Albert York because it looked the most like the MTI Linda. Since I have the York now I never think about the Linda tub anymore except to wonder if the wider tub would feel more roomy. The York is fairly narrow but it's still comfortable. I have the 68 1/2" size. It fits perfectly in the space we removed the deck jacuzzi tub out of just doesn't extend into the room as far, a plus. Good riddance to that thing!!! I love the freestanding tub, makes the bathroom look so much bigger and I have already used it more since May than I used the jacuzzi tub in the previous 13 years!

That is a very good price, you can get the tub and the faucets for $2800? That's a good deal. I got the floor mounted faucet that is freestanding, the faucet hangs up like a telephone. Very British looking. With all the component pieces plus the drain I think we paid more like $3200. If you live in Atlanta I believe they ship from somewhere not too far south of Atlanta. The saleslady told us the lava ash that the V+A's are made of help to retain heat. I don't think I would ever have any sort of power feature on a tub again. Just something else to worry about and it's not as heavenly as it seems it would be. For me I love being able to use bath salts and bubble bath to abandon and while they say you can with the air bath I wonder if it's really ok. I never could do that with the whirlpool tub as it was a no no. Happy hunting!

• leahcate
    12 years ago

Am now in the market for a claw foot and need it fairly quickly since it must be here before the floor, etc goes in. Would you all mind sharing where you purchased yours, the delivery time and the cost. Also, for lava owners, now that you've had your tub in winter, how is it holding heat? Thanks soooo much!

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

The V+A York we have is holding up fine with the lower temps. Have you tried European Sink Outlet on Buford Hwy or the Kennesaw outlet? They can get tubs very quickly and have a nice showroom with decent prices. If you are near Atlanta just do a search for directions or you could call them and see what the delivery time would be. It was only like a day or two for my tub.

• gus5
    12 years ago

We are considering buying the V&A York and this was really helpful to read (especially gr8day)...thanks so much! I fell in love with a $5,000 V&A but can't afford it and the York looks great but I was wondering if it was comfortable. I like that it is smaller (no need to fill a huge tub just for me to soak!) and was wondering if it is too "squared-off" v. slanted.

• gus5
    12 years ago

Has anyone used their own freestanding faucet with a Victoria & Albert tub? We are going to buy the V&A York tub (although I still want to sit in it because I want to know if it has a nice slant for reading while soaking (I'm 5'3")...but have to drive 3 hrs to do that!)and I'm considering a wall mount faucet or purchasing our own freestanding faucet.

• NaRo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are going with the V and A York, and the V and A drain/overflow. And we're going with another vendor's stand-alone faucet -- the 34 1/2-inch version (height advised by signature hardware) of this faucet in chrome http://www.signaturehardware.com/product9037-- it seems to be a relatively decent price, has cut-off valves, and doesn't need wall support bars.

The tower-style faucet the V and A price list shows costs twice as much and doesn't have that fun antuqie-telephone vibe-- gr8day, I found it strange that the catalog beauty shots show antique-style faucet in the catalog, but no such faucet is on the price list! Curious what V and A charges for that, if they have one. We are getting a bit off the tub price by going through our kitchen/bath designer.

I've only tried the tub out in the store-- we won't be moving back home for a few months yet. I was between the York and an absurdly expensive heated MTI that felt lovely, too. But I like the feel of the V and A York-- something cozy, comfy, and solid about it. I'm 5'6". It has a relatively deep soak in a relatively small footprint, and I think it looks terrific.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Sorry I didn't check back here until today. I find the York very comfortable to lean against, I know the angle looks straighter than some but I actually like it that way. It's still a definite slant that seems just about right at least for me, I'm about 5'5". I put one of those chrome trays that fits on the top of the tub to hold soap, bath salts, shampoo/conditioner. I got my vintage looking British faucet at Ferguson's. Not sure what the name of it is. I told the girl my dilemma about the costs and she led me to a less expensive line and just bought it on the spot. I saved by getting it in chrome instead of a special finish. I did get the cut off valves, too. I don't use the bath everyday because the new shower is nice too and I usually don't have time. We tiled up the wall a ways to keep from getting the walls wet when using the hand held shower. It's been in since about July of last year, so far I'm really liking it very much. Here's a couple of pictures but the room is not finished, missing drapes and the details and for some reason the tub looks so little in these pictures! We have very high ceilings in MB. One thing to keep in mind is that the more the tub slants in the smaller the dimensions of the bottom of the tub will be. One of the reasons I liked the York is it isn't that slanted so there is more length at the bottom of the well area. The more slant the less bottom length of soaking well.

• KiraDesign
    9 years ago

Sorry to go off topic. I purchased a Victoria and Albert Tub and Faucet. Prior to installation, I noticed a dent of the Faucet. The dent is smooth isn't sharp. Does this look like a manufacture defect or shipping mishandle?