Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minac_gw

Completed 5 X 7 Hall bathroom

minac
14 years ago

The hall bathroom is finally done. Thanks as always for all the help thruout the process. Things like the fan, fan switch, going with a slide bar, and the Toto toilet are all thanks to advice I've seen on the board. It's hard to get good pictures since the bathroom is so small but hopefully you can get the idea. The floor tile photo is during the renovation - I forgot to take a photo of the floor after it was all done and the 12x24 Daltile Kimona Silk - sort of fabrique look tile really adds to the look of the bathroom. Things like the train rack over the toilet and going with wall cabinets was to gain more space. I got tired of knocking down bottles of extra shampoo, kids bubble bath, sunscreen etc. in the Linen closet while trying to get towels out. Now, I can put guest towels on the train rack and some of those non-linen items can be stored in the bathroom.

{{gwi:1508978}}

{{gwi:1508979}}

{{gwi:1492725}}

{{gwi:1508980}}

{{gwi:1508981}}

Comments (15)

• olychic
    14 years ago

It is so pretty! I especially love what you did above the vanity with the tile and cabinet/trim.

You must be pleased - congratulations on a great job in a small bathroom.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Oooh - great to see another small bath. I'm still deciding what to do with mine - it's just a little larger than yours. Where did you get the train rack? Also, what is that vertical cabinet like? Do you have one on each side or just that one side? Is it open on the bottom with an outlet inside and then a medicine cabinet type thing above? I am thinking about doing same only entirely closed with outlet inside for rechargeables.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Love what you have done. Could you tellme where you got the wall cabinets and if possible take another photo for me showing both sides of sink area. That might be the solution for my small bathroom that I am about to renovate.
    Thanks.

• brickton
    14 years ago

I really like the sink / vanity. It's a really nice upgrade to an otherwise standard (but still solid/nice) vanity. The side cabinets and glass mosaic make it look much more stately.

• girlcat36
    14 years ago

Very nicely done! The cabinets/mosiac/light fixture is very unique!
    Enjoy!

• minac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I realized after the fact that the bathroom to the TUB is about 5 feet wide and 7 1/2 feet long. With the tub it is more like 5 X 9 1/2.

gibby3000 - I got the train rack from Pottery Barn. It is the Mercer Train Rack. The vertical cabinet is on both sides. The total height is 51 inches - 36 inches is the closed cabinet with glass front and 15 inches of open shelving. The cabinets are 12 inches wide and 9 inches deep. We have a recessed medicine cabinet (Restoration Hardware Frameless) in the middle. The outlet is on the right in the open shelving for things that need to charge and we have an outlet on the left next to the light switches.

lyban - we ordered the cabinets including the wall cabinets from a cabinet dealer that sold the Decora line. It was the two cabinets, plus the crown molding, and a soffit that goes between the cabinet above the light sconce.

Here is a closer picture
    {{gwi:1508982}}

{{gwi:1492723}}

• minac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to post the product list for the bathroom. Here goes:

Floor Tile 12x24 Daltile Kimona Silk in Sprout
    Shower Wall tile 4x8 - Daltile Modern Dimensions in Urban Putty
    Shower glass accent - Daltile Modern Dimensions Glass Accents in Multibrown Terrasphere Accent
    Sink - Kohler "Camber" K-2349
    Faucet - Delta "Lahara" two handle mini-widespread
    Toilet - Toto Eco Nexus
    Shower handheld and slidebar - Grohe Movario 5 shower system
    Tub spout - Grohe Talia Diverter Tub Spout
    Tub - Kohler Hourglass 5' tub plus apron
    Shower Door - Kohler Portrait K-702101-L
    Countertop - Silestone - Blue Sahara
    Fan - Panasonic Whisper FV08VQ3
    Fan switch - Leviton Timer Switch 6260M
    Paint - Benjamin Moore - Wedgewood Gray HC146
    Train Rack - Pottery barn "Mercer"
    Recessed Medicine Cabinet - Restoration Hardware Frameless Inset Medicine Cabinet
    Glass accent tile around medicine cabinet - Sonoma Tile - Jade

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

5x9.5', you mean--5x7, not including tub. You didn't squeeze that vanity in 2' of space!

Looks great! Mine is 5'4.5"x8'2.5", including tub, once drywall and tile are in. And I have a 1'x3" bite taken out of the wall behind the toilet because of the bathroom shape on the other side of the wall. You might think I'm splitting hairs, but your bathroom ends up being a LOT bigger than mine, functionally!

• minac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

reyesuela, I was convinced I had one of the smaller hall bathrooms that has to be the all purpose bathroom - it is the bathroom used when people visit (we have no half-bath on the main level) and it is the kids and overnight guest bath. I think I must have measured to the tub and had that in my mind and I couldn't figure out a way to correct the title once I had posted.

Anyway, the vanity is 48 inches wide. I noticed not having towel bars along the wall has made it seem bigger. However, we will need to add some towel hooks because we need more space to hang towels.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Thanks for the additional info and pictures - very helpful.

• thuesen
    14 years ago

I love it!

In regards to your sonoma jade glass tile: did you order that online or from a local dealer? I have been trying to find the perfect glass tile accents for my subway tile shower and I think this may be it! May I ask the SF cost?

• minac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thuesen, I ordered the Sonoma Jade Glass tile from a local dealer. However, I called around to several dealers to see who had the best SF price. Believe it or not, I had gotten a dealer to price match another dealer. I think I was quoted anywhere from $31-$34 as the SF price from several places but had one at $24/SF and had a price match on that. Depending how much tile you are looking at ordering, that may or may not make a difference. Sometimes your tile person (if you have one) can get a discount but there are lots of variables since they have to get the price quoted to them (which may depend on how much business they have with the dealer) and they can choose to pass their discount on or not - plus may want to charge for their time in ordering and picking up tile.

One thing to keep in mind is if you can find a place that regularly gets shipments from Sonoma and is one of the biggest dealers of Sonoma tile, then you may be looking at a lower cost for shipping and could possibly get your tile quicker. Most local dealers would have charged all these shipping and handling fees to cover the cost of their shipments from the manufacturer so it could be another $75-$100 for special order. The place I ordered from not only price matched, but more importantly only charged maybe $13 total for some portion of the freight shipping cost since they get weekly shipments.

• thuesen
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info! Well, I am my tile person (haha) so it looks like I'm going to have to work with a dealer. There is one about 1.5 hours away from me, so I'll check it out.

• minac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thuesen, good luck with the tile. Let us know how it turns out.

• southerngalinnyc
    13 years ago

Minac,
    Great bath! Thanks for all the tips. I have been looking at the Kohler hourglass tub and am curious if the fact that it is taller (20") makes it tougher to get in and out of in a tight space? My bath is not less than 5x7 and I need to use a frameless shower screen and am concerned that someone may take it down trying to get in and out of the tub...