Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Searching for the perfect soaking tub

Posted by elizamamma (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 22:00

Hi all,
We are in the midst of an extensive remodel/addition, and I'm planning the master bath. I've found advice on these pages invaluable, and was hoping for your recommendations for the perfect soaking tub. We have room for a 72-inch tub, and my ideal tub would be quite deep and able to accommodate two people (i.e. double ended). We used to have a Kohler Purist, which had max water depth of 21 inches. It was lovely, but only seated one. I'm happy with drop in but am also contemplating free-standing. I love the Victoria and Albert tubs and am intrigued by the material (volcanic resin) but concerned that they aren't deep enough. Suggestions please? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Searching for the perfect soaking tub

What width is available? You'll probably want at least 36"w for a two person tub although 42"w or thereabouts may be better, especially for allowing side-by-side as well as facing-each-other accommodation.

o

We did an Americh Contura II 7240 with is 72"x40". I was second guessing between that and the 32" wide one. The price was the same so we went with the 40" wide one. Still haven't had both of us in it at the same time but it looks like it could fit us. Biggest regret with the larger tub is I know it will cost a fortune to fill, but with how often we use it I guess that's no big deal...

o

It will cost less to use if you do bathe together, as an average adult displaces about 15 gallons of water in a tub, so you wouldn't use much more water than one person in a small 60" tub. But yes, be sure you have an ample hot water supply to fill your tub. Especially in the winter in cold climates where the unheated water it mixes with is near freezing, a modestly-sized tank will struggle to fill a deeper tub. You may need to turn up the temperature on your water heater (and install anti-scalding devices at the faucets and showers unless you have thermostatic valves), upsize the water heater, or go tankless.

o

I am on my second Victoria Albert tub. We have the Asia model and like it a great deal. I was unwilling to drill the rim of the tub for faucets. I was afraid ti would break the tub with a slight grab of the drill. The material is a cast limestone. Actually pretty light for the size of the tub. As to size of the tub, you have to look at them. Be aware that if you pick to large a tub you have to look into the hot water supply to feed it. Just being able to fill a tub isn't enough. You need to be able to peak the tub once it begins cooling off.

o

Thank you! We are definitely looking into the water heater. I'm going to try to check out a few V+A tubs soon, with any luck that will answer some questions for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here