Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglemamma

Waterproofing a window in the shower

beaglemamma
15 years ago

Does anyone know how to waterproof a window in your shower? We have always put a clear shower curtain over it, which has worked well but is an eyesore! We are getting new tile, so this is the perfect time to do whatever needs to be done. We are open to those glass cubes instead of a traditional frosted glass window if that would help. Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments (6)

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

We removed a single wood-framed window and went with an opaque, tiled-in fixed-pane window below a small operable/awning wood window.

Old:

New: [Don't mind the upper window...I still have to paint it and put its chrome crank on.]

The shower curtain is definitely the cheaper option...but we're very happy with the solution. Pre-reno, we had to pretty much block the window with a "real" curtain unless we wanted our neighbors to look directly in from their porch, ha. So aside from wanting something prettier, the window was a big functional piece for us.

Good luck with your project -- and if you go with a tiled-in window, just make sure your tiler explains their waterproofing process to you.

• fickle8
    15 years ago

I have a similar situation. I'm in the middle of a remodel and have been struggling with the window that will now be in the shower. The placement of our window is such that it should never get direct spray but will probably get splashed. After searching for a solution I finally started asking how the window getting wet on the inside is any different than the outside on a rainy day. Noone has had much of an answer.... as long as the sill is sloped for drainage I think it should be fine.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

After searching for a solution I finally started asking how the window getting wet on the inside is any different than the outside on a rainy day

The difference is that when it gets wet from the OUTSIDE, no water will get into the wall cavity and cause a mold problem. I could go through a list of specifics, but in the time I've been here, I've told people maybe a dozen times what the limitations are and how to properly seal up the windows, and almost without fail, I've been pretty much told I didn't know what I was talking about, so I no longer give out recommendations about shower windows. Suffice to say it needs to be sealed up tight, and a canted sill is not enough.

• worthy
    15 years ago

I'd wager that concrete backer board and Kerdi figure prominently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window in shower

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

I've told people maybe a dozen times what the limitations are and how to properly seal up the windows, and almost without fail, I've been pretty much told I didn't know what I was talking about

Selfishly, I hope I'm innocent because otherwise things don't look good for my shower done the line! Couldn't find a Kerdi-er, but there's cement board in the whole shower and the window-bench-niche walls all got waterproofing on top of that.

Pretty sure Kerdi would have been faster and a lot less smelly, but knock wood we're sealed up.