Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Light above shower isn't above shower

threeapples
11 years ago

There is a support beam preventing the light that was supposed to be above the center of our guest bath shower, from being in the shower at all. It's about 30% above the edge of the shower and the rest is not over the shower. How annoying will this look and function? I really wanted the guest bath to be gorgeous and now we discover this issue with the light. We wanted to do crown moulding in this bathroom, but because of an odd wall configuration the returns would look pretty undesirable. Does anyone have images of a lighting situation like ours so I can feel more comfortable about this?

Comments (9)

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

removed my comment

This post was edited by mongoct on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 22:05

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

your comment was removed, mongoct.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Mine is off centered because of beams, too, but it's still over the shower. I understand why it may not be able to be centered, but why is it not possible to get it over the shower?

It's hard to tell but it's pretty close to the wall (about 1/3 and 2/3 instead of 1/2 and 1/2).

{{gwi:1395554}}

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love your spaces, Kevin.

We can't move it closer into the shower because of a support beam that our builder says is impossible to cut into. It's centered from one short end of the shower to the other, but not installed "over" the shower. Should I rack my brain for a solution?

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I'm still confused. Do you mean that it's the opposite of mine, which is centered longways but not centered shortways? I just don't get how it's not "over the shower" if it's still "centered from one short end...to the other."

You could also put in two lights symmetrically (depending upon what you mean the problem is, which I still can't figure out!).

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

What Kevin is saying is why not put the light on the other side of the beam. That should allow it to be in the shower (although not centered). I would rather have that configuration than a light that is part in/part out of the shower. If its any consolation--at least it's not in the master...

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

If there is a way to move it to the other side of the beam so that it is in/over the shower, even if it's not centered in the other direction, I think it would be fine. Ours isn't centered either.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

My original comment was similar to Kevin's. If you can't have one light centered, then put in two lights symmetrically balanced from center.

Then I re-read you post and realized I didn't fully comprehend your problem. A typical ceiling might have three or four ceiling joists, running parallel to one another, spaced 16" apart on-center. A true structural beam could take up more space.

But I couldn't grasp how structural members could take up all the ceiling space and cause you to push a light all the way out of a shower.

That's why I removed my comment.

If there truly is no way to recess a light into your shower ceiling, there are low-profile flush mount led lights that might suit your needs.

Worst case, and while it depends on the dimensions of your shower, the configuration of the bathroom space itself, and how far along the construction is, the ceiling within the shower space could be furred down a few inches. Add a "false transom" at the doorway to hide the depth of the furr-down.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i'll take some photos of this situation tomorrow. in the meantime, our builder said we could put a light on the other side of the beam instead, but it would require something like an electrical box put in above the drywall because the electrical line does not run on the shower side of the beam.