Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateb22_gw

2 sizes of kohler expanse

KateB22
10 years ago

I was supposed to finalize this today but I have an extra day or so.
I wm pretty inclined ( though some of it is just guessing and having to choose something) to get the kohler expanse tub in both out new bathrooms.
There is a 32 by 60 which bows out to 38 at the center and that one is 31 at the top of the basin in the widest part.

The other is a 30 by 60 which bows out to 36 in the middle and has a basin top inside of 28.

We can fit one 30X60 in one bathroom, and have the option of the 32 by 60 in the other.
Is the 32X60 too huge for a regular daily bathtub??
I am totally guessing on this having only seen photos online.

I mostly decided on the expanse because I liked the 17 inch height and 12 and 5/8 water depth versus all the other kohler 32's had a 20 inch wall and a 14 or 15 inch water height which felt too tall for me.
The reviews of the expanse I was able to find ( not that many) were good.

I just cannot tell if it will be too big for daily bath use?
Is it so big it is uncomfortable and used too much hot water?
And which is the better size the 30X60 or the 32X60?

Comments (6)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Kohler Expanse 60 x 30 tub:
    basin bottom 45-5/16â³ x 25-9/16â³ and 55.6 gal

Kohler Exanse 50 x 32 tub:
    basin bottom 45-11/16â³ x 27-5/8â³ and 60 gal

---------

My thoughts: The 60 x 30 tub with the 25 1/2" width is going to be plenty wide for bathing. One thing you can do is sit down on the floor parallel to the wall, place some masking tape on the floor for the basin base measurement and some boxes for the basin top measurement and see how comfortable you would be.

If you can, I would go with the 60 x 32 tub in the second for your husband and son to take showers.

You are going to need a large water heater to fill it in the evening if you are washing dishes/clothes and the other people in the house are bathing, etc. Since this is new construction you may want to look into an on demand hot water heater. Just a thought. Or you can take your bath at an opposite time and plan on emptying the water heater. I recommend placing some insulation around your tub too.

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you! Good idea to tape out the dimensions to see how it feels.

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so I ordered the two expanses-- one 32 and one 30. The 32 is actually for my bath as we figured out there is more room than we had thought ( moved a small plumbing wall back).

I ordered it from faucet direct and it ihas shipped already and now I am TOTALLY doubting my choice! I basically am worried that the expanse 32X60 will be too big! And that it will take tons of hot water for my bath so my bath won't be as hot by the time it fills up, and that I will just feel too lost in all that space! while yes it will be nice for the odd time husband and I go in it together, for my daily bath I am trying to create a sanctuary. I kind of wish I had ordered two 30X60 expanses. We did tape it out and somehow I thought after that the 32X60 was better but now I am totally doubting! I don't even know if I could return it if I don't like it when I see it??

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Contact Faucet Direct to get info on returning. It may be cheaper for you to sell the tub on craigslist and order a new one.

You are going to have to receive the tub anyway, so you might as well check it out. Just wait and see. It is better to change your mind now versus after you install it. There are plenty of threads on this forum where folks returned their tubs.

Can you switch the tubs? Are you sure you can't squeeze the 60 x 32 into your husband's bath? It is 38 inches (versus 36) across the widest part.

There really isn't that great of a difference between the gal. The 2 inches inside the tub may or may not feel to be that great of a difference because bathroom fixtures are such a personal thing for folks.

Have you evaluated your hot water supply? Now is the time to increase the size of your tank or go to on demand. You can always add a small on demand heater just for your bathrooms or the zone around your master. Gas on demand are usually installed on the side of the house for venting. Electric can be installed inside your house. They both need dedicated supplies. Look into that.

If your master is a stand alone tub, you can install a deck mounted roman faucet that has a higher fill rate versus a shower/tub valve. That will help. Otherwise just plan on prefilling the tub while you do something else. Make sure you insulate the tub.

I wonder if you can order and install the Kohler Bask heating system separately or does it have to be installed at the factory?

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 11:43

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Anna! I actually spoke w- faucet direct today and they said if it is too big I can return it-- and I prewarned my builder of that possibility! It arrives Monday so I can decide then! I will let you guys know what I think! Thanks agai for all the help!
    I am still figuring out our hot water system- new house so it is all new. I am going to get an efficient propane boiler and need to talk to the guy about our hot water options. I definitely want something that gives abundant hot water! We are only a family of three- one kid and two adults-- but I take a lot of baths and do a lot of laundry!

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs