Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rooandcheese

Duravit Fogo / Vero Hack?

rooandcheese
9 years ago

I am in love with this Duravit Fogo vanity.

It's the right size, gorgeous real wood veneer and the price for the base is just over $500, which to me is a steal. However, the matching integrated sink/countertop, the Vero, is all porcelain (and nearly $1K).

My husband absolutely does not want a porcelain top (I don't love it either, but could live with it for the sake of being done searching for vanities). We are fine with a porcelain sink, but would want the top to be either marble, quartz, acrylic or similar.

So my question: Has anyone successful put a different top on the Duravit Fogo vanity? The main issue is that there is not room in the cabinet for an undermount sink, so it needs a thicker integrated top (about 5" from what I can tell). The best option I found was through Furniture Guild, which sells Vero compatible cabinets. However, they said they do not sell Fogo compatible tops.

I would also be very happy to hack the Villeroy and Boch Central Line vanity, which is nearly identical to the Fogo but a few inches deeper with a hidden drawer inside and a slightly higher price tag. Nevertheless, the issue with the counter top is the same.

We've looked at I think every other vanity option out there, and here are the only others we don't hate in our ~$1500 budget. Wall and floor tile are a dark greyish-brown and we will have a Tiffany blue accent tile in the niche.

Aqua Decor Maya (great price, however "wood" is laminate and we aren't able to see it in person so we are really nervous about the quality and look/color)

Wyndham Centra (real wood, but color is so grey it looks sort of fake in pictures, also haven't been able to find a local place to see in person, don't love the smaller drawers)

Madeli Bolano (we have seen in person and the hardware and veneer quality is low despite being the most expensive option, ehh on color with our tile, love the sink/top)

A local custom wall-mount vanity would be about $1200 for base only and take 4+ weeks, so a hacked top on the Duravit is a better option for us in terms of pricing and timing - if it's possible.

Thanks!!
Roo

Comments (4)

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Beautiful wood vanity! But to be honest - I'm not sure any other type of top would look right on it.

• lee676
    9 years ago

It's hard to answer because strangely Duravit doesn't show the crucial front-to-back depth dimension on their drawing.

I'm about to do the opposite - I have a 24"w Vero sink I picked up cheap on Craigslist that's used but in great condition, and am planning to place it atop a wall-mounted Ikea Godmorgan cabinet (probably also the wood color) - the Duravit sink is about the same size (and not all that different in appearance) to Ikea's own Odensvik sinks (the 47-1/4" version shown below, which would be a low-cost ($130) alternative to the Vero top). I used the Godmorgan/Odensvik combo in the 47-1/4" width in another bathroom and am very impressed with both pieces. I used a nice waterfall faucet on that one, and nearly everyone who's seen the renovated bathroom thinks they're expensive high-end fixtures. I will have to find a way to obtain the unique Ikea drain plumbing to route the drain behind the drawers though, which Ikea includes with their sinktops and doesn't sell separately.

Anyway, I don't see anything obvious about the Duravit cabinet that would stop any flat-edged top of the right dimensions from being used with it.
    {{gwi:2133842}}

• rooandcheese
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Numbersjunkie - isn't it?! I wouldn't want to do something crazy like a busy granite, we really just want something very similar but less shiny.

Lee676 - Interesting that you are doing the opposite. I think that is easier because the Vero top would only lift more of the plumbing out of your IKEA cabinet whereas a shallower top would push it down farther into the Duravit cabinet. I tried the argument that if we can't find anything we agree on, might as well save some money and do IKEA. However, after reading some mixed reviews about the Godmorgon on GW I'm having a tough time convincing my husband of that option, too.

How weird that Duravit doesn't show the depth on the drawings. The base is 18 1/8" D. The top is 19 1/4" deep, but it looks like it could take something up to a 1/2" more or less deep (from what I have seen in showrooms).

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Any Corian fabricator could do a custom top similar to that with mitering the edge for an thickness of whatever is needed. It would not be as cheap as the top that's designed for it, but it wouldn't be subject to chipping or other impact damage that could possibly damage porcelain.