Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outsideplaying_gw

Benjamin Moore Paint Finish Question

outsideplaying_gw
10 years ago

I've selected the paint color for our Master bath re-do and went to buy a pint to double check the color. But when I asked the guy at the BM store about the finishes in Aura vs the regular BM paint, he said I should use the Pearl finish in the bathroom. Now I'm confused. I've always used the Flat or Matte finish with no problem but have never used the Aura paint. Any suggestions from those of you with recent experience? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

We used Aura Matte/Aura Bath and Spa Matte on the walls in our bathrooms, and Aura Satin finish on the base molding (Pearl is not available in Aura). So far (a few years), it's holding up well.

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, cat mom. I don't know why I was so stressed over paint of all things. I normally use matte everywhere. This pearl finish thing threw me. I slept on it and looked at the matte finish sample again today and will be likely be using Aura Matte. I have not used Aura before but being a BM user forever, I don't think I can go wrong.

• still_lynnski
    10 years ago

I used the Aura bath & spa in a bathroom recently and was very pleased. It deals with steamy conditions well, and is far superior to the previous (Pratt & Lambert) in hiding the miserable condition of the very-not -smooth walls. I forget the name of the color, but it's a blue-toned medium gray.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

When we did our guest bathroom, the Bath and Spa Aura paint hadn't come out yet (or was in use process of being released?), so we just used the regular Aura matte In that bathroom. The satin finish on all of our baseboard molding, bathrooms and otherwise, is regular Aura satin finish paint, since the Bath and Spa Aura paint only comes in matte finish (I think).

We love the Aura matte finish. It has a beautiful velvety texture/finish.

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, enduring and still_lynnski. More data points for the Aura bath and spa. I believe that's what we'll be using. I'm still puzzled why this salesman was trying to suggest the Pearl finish. I have dealt with this store for years and they usually have good advice.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Call the tech department at BM and ask your questions. Then post what they say here, please :) I am interested too.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Had to look this up, as I've never heard the term Pearl finish before.

"Uses
    Because of their easy-to-clean quality, pearl pain finishes are often used in kitchens and bathrooms. They are also commonly used for trim details, such as doors, window frames, base moldings and crown moldings."

Just finished first coat of Aura paint in my BR, and have now realized that he sold me the plain Aura, not the Bath and Spa...arghhh...even had the girl plug into the computer that it was going in my BR (though that was after it had been mixed). Oh well, we have addressed moisture issues with a ceiling fan and pocket door and towel warming rack, so should be OK. Good news is it looks so pretty!