Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aiallega

Can anyone recommend a good toilet seat?

aiallega
9 years ago

This bathroom remodel of mine is getting really absurd. They installed the Kohler Stately toilet which I really like but the coordinating toilet seat won't stay up for the men in the house!! This shouldn't be so hard for the Kohler engineers! Anyway, I need a good sturdy toilet seat for a round front toilet that has no issues. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments (10)

• klem1
    9 years ago

I've installed 100s of Bemis brand without problems. And believe it or not some tanks sit foward enough to prevent lid staying up. If that's the case consider a commercial seat because it is only a seat but no lid. Commercial seats are also open at front which helps if seat isn't raised. You can also remove the lid from several residential seats.
    I'll bet some female desighned it that way so the seat is always down when she arrives.LOL

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I had the same problem with a new Kohler that replaced a 15 year old Bemis. I couldn't find Bemis at the big box stores, but after checking their website saw that Church and Mayfair are Bemis. Got the soft close Church at Lowe's and really like it.

• williamsem
    9 years ago

I got a soft close ez clean model on Amazon. I wouldn't buy another seat without those features now! To clean, just turn the bolt covers and lift the whole thing off, wipe around the posts it attaches to, then set in place and turn covers back. Easy peasy!

• emma
    9 years ago

I bought one of the "no slam" lids called Mayfair Easy Clean at Walmart, $30 something. You just push it down a little and it closes gently by it's self. I don't flush with the lid up so I push it down all the way. It is easy to install, just tighten until the nut breaks off. You can twist the whole thing and it comes off for easy cleaning. I like it so well I bought another one for the handicap stool (elongated). So far it has not loosened like most lids do.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 17:28

• aiallega
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. The main problem with this present seat is that the seat wont stay up when needed. I'm starting to think maybe it's because of the shape of the tank top because it sticks out in the front.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Thank you,I was begaining to think I misunderstood after reading all the other suggestions. Was considering editing to reccomend a heated seat. LOL

• emma
    9 years ago

Sorry I did not read it thoroughly. If mine doesn't stay up it is because the lid cover is to thick, but I am sure you have thought about that.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

The only draw back to those soft close lids is when you go to someone else's house and forget that not everyone has a soft close lid!! I seriously embarrassed myself when the lid SLAMMED down really loudly. grrrr. But we installed them in both baths and I too like the easy off to clean feature.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Any chance the tank lid is on backwards?

• aiallega
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant--You gave me a little spark of hope but alas I checked and the other side of the tank lid is unfinished.

I've searched the Kohler Stately toilet and haven't found anyone else having this issue but the seat I have is said to have a design flaw by many reviewers.

The best seat I ever bought is the Tuscany Premium from Menards that is in our other bathroom. I may get another and try it on this toilet. It is a very heavy and substantial seat but doesn't have a soft close feature (and has the loudest slam of any seat I've ever heard!)