Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cultured marble countertops

Posted by pumpkinhouse (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 20:10

Does anyone still put these in? I asked at the local kitchen and bath store for an inexpensive countertop option, and she recommended cultured marble. Is this less expensive than laminate? I have my doubts...it looks very 20-30 years ago to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cultured marble countertops

Yes and no.

Here in Houston, TX builders are still putting them in second baths in tract homes. Remodelers are pulling them out of master baths in favor of granite. A fabricated vanity from a granite remnant is cheaper than one from cultured marble.

Remember, cultured marble is only as good as the fabricator shop because everything is done by hand - painting the gel gloss coat in the form (thickness), pouring the cultured marble mix into the form and then the finishing sanding and polishing. The quality of the binders and colorant in the shop's recipe can affect the appearance. The gelcoat is really fiberglass and will yellow over time. I do not see a lot of innovation in styles and colors even here in Houston where there are still a lot of shops. If you do go this route, check out Houzz.com for ideas. Most cultured vanities now are using tile for the backsplash and more modern shaped sinks. Be careful of the quality of the big box store vanities.

Laminate is not used that much. If you do go to Houzz you will see it used especially in modern baths. I still think it is a nice alternative if you use a tile backspash and a current edge. If you go this route, select a drop in sink that makes a statement - order a nice sink online. Laminate has increased in price to where it is not the totally cheap alternative that it once was. You will probably have to have a contractor install the sheet on site or go to a countertop shop and have them make one in their shop because the premade styles are very limited in the big box stores. The preformed backsplash will date you so use tile instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here