Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145_gw

vanity lighting placement

amberm145_gw
9 years ago

In a new build, I'm trying to decide on the light fixtures and placement before the electrician comes in.

The sink is on the left. The architect called for a double sink. I asked for the sink on the right to be removed in favour of more counter space for hair and makeup paraphernalia. The entire counter is just over 6' long.

There will be a bulkhead above the vanity due to venting and messed up structural design.

I don't like most wall sconces. And we don't have room for a light above the mirror, which I hate even more than wall sconces. I have seen pendants hanging in front of the mirror, and I love the look. I also like the idea of lighting the face rather than the forehead.

But I'm wondering if I have the room for them? I'll end up with the pendant a couple of inches from the walls and about 2.5' between pendants. I can have the sink moved over a few inches. But then I have even less space between the pendants.

If I skip the middle pendant, would there be enough light from the pendant on the far side to not have shadows on one side of the face?

Another option is pot lights in the bulk head. If it was up to my GC, there would be hundreds of pot lights in my 2000 sq' house. But I try to avoid using them as much as possible.

Comments (9)