Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_n_a

houzz addict reality check: lighting over tub

M_N_A
10 years ago

I have seen so many photos of pretty light over tub in houzz and almost feel that a master bath is incomplete without a light fixture like that

http://www.houzz.com/photos/bath/chandelier-tub-

however i was just told that this is against code. light needs to be water rated over shower or tub.

what gives? these people just post pretty photo to tease?

Comments (13)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

You can put a light over a tub. Just not like pictured. The lowest point of the fixture has to be 6' from the rim of the tub. If you slip in the tub, you'll fall and crack your skull instead of grabbing the light fixture and electrocuting yourself.

As for why you see lots of pictures of this being done, I'd speculate that no one who's done this has had the required inspections to be told no. Or, they just don't care. Lots of people do things that are dangerous and shouldn't be done.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Are the balls actually part of the light fixture? I looks to me like the light is shining down on them. It is dreamy, I must admit.

-Babka

• xc60
    10 years ago

We like to have a chandelier over our tub in our ensuite. Last home we had 9' ceilings and the light meet code. In our new build we will be installing it after possession and after inspection. The light might be about an inch off of the 6' code at most.

This post was edited by xc60 on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 23:48

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think in this case the silver orbs are just drops and the light source of this fixture is up at the ceiling.

In many of these cases, there is a fixture put up for the inspection, and then the fixture the homeowner wants is installed after inspection. Sometimes it's not even the case that you are trying to circumnavigate code, it's just that the fixture you want is backordered or something. Once you are in there isn't much control over things that no longer require a permit, and a permit and inspection are not required to change a light fixture anywhere I am familiar with.

If the light is over a tub with a shower it has to meet both the distance requirements and be rated for use in a shower or wet area.

I did a project where the bathroom had a tall vaulted ceiling with recessed fixtures in it and even though some of that ceiling space was over the shower it was well above the top of the shower enclosure, so I don't think they were rated in that case.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Can you imagine cleaning that thing? My cats would use it for target practice.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

LOL linelle!

National building and electrical codes were established to provide a safe home environment. Usually in response to deaths or dismemberments that occurred because of the prohibited choice. If people don't want to follow the code, then, it's called thinning the herd. ;)

• debbie1000
    10 years ago

We had our master bath redone several year ago and one of my "must haves" was a chandelier over our tub.

They said code would not allow it. Even though we have a high (1980s) ceiling, the thought is that if you stand up and start to fall and lose your balance you might grab the light and get electrocuted (Well only if I am 10 feet tall to begin with)

So we stuck with our recessed light.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I don't get the code. Am 5'4", if I'm on the tub rm and reach up...it is in the 6' range. So how does this keep me from grabbing the light? Or someone taller?

The only light I've ever had in the shower/bath was a pain. It was always going out (new home). I doubted the inspectors took a good look at the insulation/installation. There is far more to just adding a light in this area than a standard light in other rooms. More fodder for a good inspection. Just be safe and smart.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The bottom of the fixture is supposed to be 96" from the rim of the tub, so technically a recessed light doesn't comply either unless your ceilings are about 112". They usually allow lensed, recessed fixtures, because you can't grab them.

• User
    10 years ago

Who stands on the rim of the tub? Acrobats? Bad children? If you are an adult indulging in recreational activities, you've got a lot more safety hazards to worry about than just the lighting fixture, but that's probably why the code was enacted in the first place. (Don't forget the blocking behind the walls to be able to install grab bars where needed. They are useful to a lot of people even when they are too young to "need" them.)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think people stand on the rim of deck-surrounded garden tubs all the time. You are supposed to sit and swing around if you can't step over, but some decks are so wide I think people step up on them. Or they put stairs around them. If they have stairs they are walking on them, not sitting on them. There is no reason to stand on the rim of a regular tub to get in and out. But most people don't put chandeliers over a regular tub, they put them over a garden tub. More likely to be standing up on the deck, or a step, more likely to need something to grab onto.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths