Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo60

Where do we put the toilet tissue holder?

booboo60
15 years ago

In our new house ( not to be finished until Feb.) we will have a small guest bath. You enter the bathroom and the little 24" vanity is on the right, the toilet next to the vanity and then at the back wall is the tub. Of course, everything at this point is just 'roughed in' but I don't see much room between the toilet and the tub, therefore, not enough room to hang the toilet tissue holder. Would it be strange to attach it to the vanity on the left side of the toilet????

Comments (18)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Why not use one of those toilet tissue STANDS?

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

Ours is on the vanity. We don't have a lot of room for the free-standing.

• maryland_irisman
    15 years ago

I like the idea of the stand too, it gives you a bit of flexibility and some xtra rolls too. But I do have to say, what gsciencechick shows looks pretty good!!!! Here's a good argument starter...she also shows the paper hanging in the proper direction!!!!

• booboo60
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info :)
    gsciencechick, I guess I was concerned that putting it on the left would be strange but yours looks great!

Ok, now another thought.....what if it was on the wall across from the toilet?
    That would be wierd wouldn't it?

• sailormann
    15 years ago

The stand is a really elegant solution...

• plants4
    15 years ago

I think putting it on the vanity is fine (I grew up with such an arrangement in the guest bathroom). I prefer that to stands but obviously that's just a matter of taste!

• bus_driver
    15 years ago

In one tight situation, I used recessed holder in the side of the vanity. Bought it off the shelf at "big box" store.

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

Thanks! Across from the toilet would not have worked for us because the double towel bar is there.

In the half/master bath, we do have it across from the toilet, but there is no shower or tub, so the towels are on the back wall.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I think I like it on the side of the vanity better than on the opposite wall... Just so it's less obviously in view.

My personal preference. :-)

(Oh, and the toilet paper should hang *behind* the roll. ;-))

• hendricus
    15 years ago

"bihind the roll"

1. Back of kids hands leave mark on wall.

2. Fall off stool looking for end of roll under TP holder.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Fall off stool??? LOL at image!!!

Problem with in front of roll:

Easier for kitties to unravel roll.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

DH's bathroom is the same setup as the OP's but all on the left side. His toilet paper holder is on the side of the vanity. Looks perfectly normal to me :) Mine is across from the toilet like in gsciencechick's other bathroom.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Works fine on the vanity, unless it's an extra shallow vanity like in the above pic. Those vanities are great in a tight space-- I have one myself-- but would put the roll in a hard to reach spot for most people.

I've never cared for the stands much. Seem to take up more visual space than a wall mount.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

monicakm: I'm curious as to why you mounted it so far away when you have two full feet of glorious, but empty, wall? I'm 6 feet tall and that would be uncomfortable. My daughter is 5'3" and could never reach that without taking a short walk.

twotogo: since nothing has been built yet, could you exchange the toilet and vanity and mount the paper hanger on the wall? Then the vanity would be between the toilet and the tub.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Apparently the angle of the shot makes it look further away than it really is. You're not the first person to wonder/ask if it's too far away. I'm 5'3/4" and it's just a slight bend forward. I don't remember why DH made the suggestion to put it there. Before the remodel, it was on the wall where you see the Washlet remote, but lower. He suggested the wall in front, I made sure it wasn't a "stretch" and it wasn't.
    Monica

• flseadog
    15 years ago

When you mount it on the vanity does it take a lot of skill to not splinter the wood? I'm torn between the freestanding holder and letting the contractor drill into my nice new cabinet.

As far as which way the paper rolls---I'm so happy if someone replaces it besides me that I don't care. :)