Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do we put the toilet tissue holder?

Posted by twotogo (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 31, 08 at 19:07

In our new house ( not to be finished until Feb.) we will have a small guest bath. You enter the bathroom and the little 24" vanity is on the right, the toilet next to the vanity and then at the back wall is the tub. Of course, everything at this point is just 'roughed in' but I don't see much room between the toilet and the tub, therefore, not enough room to hang the toilet tissue holder. Would it be strange to attach it to the vanity on the left side of the toilet????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do we put the toilet tissue holder?

Why not use one of those toilet tissue STANDS?

o

Ours is on the vanity. We don't have a lot of room for the free-standing.

new sink

o

I like the idea of the stand too, it gives you a bit of flexibility and some xtra rolls too. But I do have to say, what gsciencechick shows looks pretty good!!!! Here's a good argument starter...she also shows the paper hanging in the proper direction!!!!

o

Thanks for the info :)
gsciencechick, I guess I was concerned that putting it on the left would be strange but yours looks great!

Ok, now another thought.....what if it was on the wall across from the toilet?
That would be wierd wouldn't it?

o

The stand is a really elegant solution...

o

I think putting it on the vanity is fine (I grew up with such an arrangement in the guest bathroom). I prefer that to stands but obviously that's just a matter of taste!

o

I did 3 bathrooms with the holder attached to the vanity ( only logical place/space ) Left hand side

2 will have holders/stands ( Powder room & en suite )

Last but not least ( hubby's downstairs powder room ) got installed on a wall just slightly in front of said toilet.

And all of my rolls are hung in the proper direction as well ( personal fetish lol ) I want to be able to bat at it in the middle of the nite and get said product.

o

In one tight situation, I used recessed holder in the side of the vanity. Bought it off the shelf at "big box" store.

o

Thanks! Across from the toilet would not have worked for us because the double towel bar is there.

Gatco towel rack

In the half/master bath, we do have it across from the toilet, but there is no shower or tub, so the towels are on the back wall.

finished!

o

I think I like it on the side of the vanity better than on the opposite wall... Just so it's less obviously in view.

My personal preference. :-)

(Oh, and the toilet paper should hang *behind* the roll. ;-))

o

"bihind the roll"

1. Back of kids hands leave mark on wall.

2. Fall off stool looking for end of roll under TP holder.

o

Fall off stool??? LOL at image!!!

Problem with in front of roll:

Easier for kitties to unravel roll.

o

DH's bathroom is the same setup as the OP's but all on the left side. His toilet paper holder is on the side of the vanity. Looks perfectly normal to me :) Mine is across from the toilet like in gsciencechick's other bathroom.

o

Works fine on the vanity, unless it's an extra shallow vanity like in the above pic. Those vanities are great in a tight space-- I have one myself-- but would put the roll in a hard to reach spot for most people.

I've never cared for the stands much. Seem to take up more visual space than a wall mount.

o

monicakm: I'm curious as to why you mounted it so far away when you have two full feet of glorious, but empty, wall? I'm 6 feet tall and that would be uncomfortable. My daughter is 5'3" and could never reach that without taking a short walk.

twotogo: since nothing has been built yet, could you exchange the toilet and vanity and mount the paper hanger on the wall? Then the vanity would be between the toilet and the tub.

o

Apparently the angle of the shot makes it look further away than it really is. You're not the first person to wonder/ask if it's too far away. I'm 5'3/4" and it's just a slight bend forward. I don't remember why DH made the suggestion to put it there. Before the remodel, it was on the wall where you see the Washlet remote, but lower. He suggested the wall in front, I made sure it wasn't a "stretch" and it wasn't.
Monica

o

When you mount it on the vanity does it take a lot of skill to not splinter the wood? I'm torn between the freestanding holder and letting the contractor drill into my nice new cabinet.

As far as which way the paper rolls---I'm so happy if someone replaces it besides me that I don't care. :)

o

Thanks all, for the excellent suggestions :) I think I will go with putting the holder on the vanity. I am not a fan of the free standing deals and I really can't switch the toilet and the vanity since we do have our plumbing roughed in. Oh yes, and to install it across from the toilet would be a bit of a "stretch".....this forum is awesome; you just make it all perfectly clear :)
PS. Always have the paper over the top!!!!!!!! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here