Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cataan

Granite vanity top issue re: dimensions

cataan
9 years ago

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to approach this? My alcove (i.e. 3 sides) is 31.5 inches across in the back and 32.125 inches across in the front. I can buy a ready-made top that is 31 inches across and use side splashes, but when they are glued to the wall they will not be perpendicular with the back splash and will require a lot of caulking to fill in the gaps where they meet the back splash. Also, there will be a big space underneath the side splashes when viewed from the front facing the vanity (only about 1/4 inch of the 3/4 inch thick side splash will be in contact with the vanity top at the front!).

The alternative is to have a top custom made that is 31.5 in the back and 32 in the front, but that will of course be more expensive.

Are gaps this significant normally just caulked?

Comments (15)

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

Locate a local granite fabricator. They will have remnant pieces sufficiently large enough for your project. Take in your measurements and look at what is available. Pieces change regularly. Cost will be very reasonable. They will also fabricate back splash pieces to whatever height you wish, cut for your dink and faucet.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I think the use of a non-custom counter will look poorly. I would do what Fnmroberts suggests and get a remnant fitted to your space. The other option would be to get a sink/counter that is smaller than your alcove space, that is stand alone. But it might be hard to clean around if it is too close to the walls to fit your cleaning hand.

• cataan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does this sound reasonable for pricing? Local shop will craft a top in a custom size of 22 depth x (31.5/rear and 32 front), including back splash and two side splashes, and Kohler porcelain basin, for $440 for the lowest price granite. For each level up the price bumps by $10/sq. ft. (have to include the splashes in the square footage). So for level 2 granite the price is $535.

• cataan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The price includes measurements taken by the company but does not include delivery or installation -- I will pick it up and have it installed by the guy doing the work on my bathroom.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Or you could rip the drywall off and shim the framing so your alcove is square with the world...and use the pre-fabricated top.

Down the road, if you ever want to change out the vanity top, life will be much easier.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

That's not a bad price for a custom top that the fabricator is going to guarantee will fit.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

My 36" vanity with 5" ogee edge backsplash and was just under $600. The granite was an upper tier granite. I didn't want the sink so they knocked off $100. This price included a trip out to measure and installation.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

My 36" vanity with 5" ogee edge backsplash and was just under $600. The granite was an upper tier granite. I didn't want the sink so they knocked off $100. This price included a trip out to measure and installation.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Just bear in mind that, if you have it custom cut, you have a situation where the front is 3/4" narrower than the back, so it can't be slid into place. It will have to be lifted into place with one side higher than the other, and then lowered. You will have to make sure it is cut smaller than the width by enough that it won't get stuck when it is being lowered.

There is enough difference between the front and back that even a custom fit piece won't hide how out of square this setup is. I, too, would strongly consider shimming and redoing at least one sidewall to make this a less awkward installation.

• cataan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Sounds like adding a shim wouldn't be difficult, just be more work than originally thought. But, what about the opposite situation, where the alcove is too small and you need an extra 1.5 inches of space to fit the vanity? That would mean taking down the drywall and moving the studs back? That sounds much more involved than tacking a thin strip of wood to a stud.

• cataan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've decided to do the following in order to keep things simple - if this sounds foolish, or you know from experience it won't work, please let me know! In the front, underneath the side splash in the gap between granite top and wall, place a shim and use caulk that is close in color to the granite. For the rear, where the side and back splashes meet, since the side splash is only 0.75 inches thick, the gap at that angle won't be significant and I have to caulk that area regardless.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

For the opposite situation, you notch the drywall.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

cataan:

32 1/4" -31 1/2" = 3/4", and I'll bet most of that 3/4" gap is on one side of an out of square wall. That's a hell of a caulk joint. Even if it were split 3/8" on each side, that's still a hell of a caulk joint(s).

Do the wall alcoves extend past the countertop? If not, the countertop should extend past the walls and the edge profile "return" to them which would cover any gap.

• cataan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet - the walls extend a good 6-8 inches beyond. Caulking the gap will require gluing a shim in the space between the wall and edge of countertop; a side splash would then cover/hide the patched gap. Whether I go custom to prevent a gap or standard, I am leaning toward avoiding having to take down drywall.

Kirkhall -- is it assumed that drywall is 1/2 inch thick? The problem I face is that a 49 inch top in a 47.5 inch space would require 3/4 inch on both sides which would mean the studs prevent it from fitting (I think???).

Appreciate all the input!

• sloyder
    9 years ago

get a fitted vanity top.