Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?-cleaning the water marks left by steam

Posted by callie8799 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 18:06

this is a bit off topic-in the sense that this is not about a remodel, but on topic that this deals with bathrooms....

any suggestions on how to wipe off or even blend the water streaking marks left on the walls when dh doesn't use the vent when taking his "hour showers"? I do have bathroom paint up there (Benjamin Moore) so it is wipeable, but I haven't been able to keep up with it so now it's bad.

what can I use to make the marks "go away" or less noticeable? or what do you use?

thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?-cleaning the water marks left by steam

Sometimes water marks from steam can indicate a slight re-emulsification of the paint. If that's what the marks are from, the only real way to get rid of the marks is to repaint.

If you're using a glossy bathroom paint, and it sounds like you have, that's your best bet.

If you have a shower light switch and a shower fan switch, you could pigtail the wires together on to one switch, or add some other automation feature (motion or humidity) to the fan (motion or humidity).

Or hide the remote to the television until he learns to flip the fan switch.

o

I've had some success using a little vinegar and water and wiping the walls. It is SO annoying..both kids using our newly renovated bathroom and it looks awful already. We did a lot of work to the fan to help, but it wasn't enough.

Beth P.

o

any suggestions on how to wipe off or even blend the water streaking marks left on the walls when dh doesn't use the vent when taking his "hour showers"?

Change the bathroom vent fan for one that automatically turns on when the humidity goes up. :)

That will solve the problem, and maybe end the marriage

o

I spray it with 409 cleaner and wipe it with a cloth. Works great for me. Can't even tell there used to be water marks.

o

Another idea would be replace the bathroom vent fan switch with one that's a timer. Leave switch set to 60 minutes after taking shower.

o

How about having the light go out after 20 minutes? ;P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here