Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krystineb_gw

Bathroom Vanity too rustic?

KrystineB
10 years ago

This is my first post and I appreciate all of your help :)

My shower backsplash is the exact product shown in this picture (Urban Archaeology) and the floor will be light travertine, the porous kind that looks like coral rock. We live in the Florida Keys so I want something "coastal" like, but not too rustic.

Here's the link to the vanity, in case I can't upload two photos! http://www.amazon.com/Cottage-Abbeville-Bathroom-vanity-CF28324/dp/B0017166KE

If it helps, the toilet is very similar to the one shown here with the square molding around the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Vanity Click

Comments (11)

• KrystineB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the vanity so you don't have to use the link!!

One more thing, if it's not too much too ask. Do you think a beadboard knee wall would go nicely behind this vanity? Too much?

THANK YOU!!!

• enduring
    10 years ago

I think the bead board would be too much competition with the louvered doors. I think the vanity is nice in the line, but you might be right about being too rustic. Your other elements aren't funky rustic, but the vanity is.

I know the weathered wood look is in style, but really it looks like it got left out in the rain and ruined the finish. Maybe I'm just getting too old :) Your tile and toilet are more crisp. These two images above are so different. But with your travertine it might work. I just can't visualize it. Maybe someone else will be more positive with the combination of materials.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I actually think it will look great together. It doesn't look that rustic to me, more "weathered" (which is appropriate for coastal Florida). The 2cm top and square sink also add to the more modern feeling.

• KrystineB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback @ enduring, I think you're right about the beadboard and louvered doors being too much. I will forgo that.

@sjhockeyfan I'm hoping the weathered look will pull through and compliment everything. Our faucets lean towards the modern side, too.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I agree with enduring. I like both looks, but not sure they go together. And it's hard for me to visualize the flooring, which could possibly tie them together. A real weathered finish that got there through age and long service is appealing to me, but not something new. I'd be wanting to get out my sanding equipment and refinish this. :)

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

I think the beadboard and the vanity could work together.

To me it's more the brown tones of the vanity that I don't particularly like. But that depends on the overall color scheme of the bathroom. I don't particularly care for the "blue" tones of the tile with the "brown" tones of the vanity. But that's me. Your eye appreciates color differently than mine.

But there is the overall color the the travertine tile. Travertine can vary, so it depends on how ivory or brown the tile is.

I don't object to the style of the vanity. But I might prefer the vanity in more of a whitewash finish, maybe not a true whitewash, but perhaps a semi-white dry brush finish. Essentially eliminating the brown in the vanity as a "color" and having it white to be more neutral.

Here are a couple of photos that reference my color idea. I'm not pushing this style of vanity. I just did a quick search to find colors. Both of the following have a bit of a rustic finish, but one sort of "brown" and one sort of "white".

Just my opinion.

• KrystineB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the tile.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I think if the colors are right it would look good with the weathered look. Sort of old world look?

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

I think it would look fine with that tile.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Personally, unless I saw a pic on Houzz or somewhere with that weathered look in front of beadboard I would let that go. Too many disparate elements fighting for attention. I love the look of that vanity with all your elements. But, I'm a 'Beach Girl' at heart...with the name Rae... you know I love the sun!

I think it will all tie in beautifully, looks like you have some brown tones in that tile too. Any idea what colour you'll put on the walls?

• aj_designer
    10 years ago

Can you show me how your bath project looks if you used that rustic vanity? I am interested in that same vanity but using 2 of them instead of one big double sink vanity. Thanks

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH