Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trader_deb

Do you like your body sprays?

trader_deb
16 years ago

We have plumbed for 3 body sprays at shoulder, waist, and thigh heights. We've never tried body sprays before, but they looked cool and fun in the showroom. We also got the rain shower head a hand-held on a vertical bar (never used these before either). It is not too late to back out of some (or all) of these choices.

We've been perfectly happy with a simple fixed shower head for 40+ years... and now we're putting in a fancy shower.

So... anyone like their body sprays?? Anyone LOVE them? Anyone regret having them? They look like a pain to clean, so... is the enjoyment from these worth the cleaning hassle?

Comments (11)

• teched
    16 years ago

We put in the same set up 2.5 years ago (Grohe). I LOVE the rain shower and handheld. We had the handheld on the bar in two baths in our old house. It is perfect for people sharing a shower who are different heights. Beware that some models (Hansgrohe) are plastic and the thingy that slides up and down the bar may break. I have replaced the hansgrohe one in the kids bath after about a year. Looks like it will likely break again soon.

As for the body sprays--my DH just had to have these and was certain he would use them everyday. I bet they get used once or twice a month. The plumber measured the placement BEFORE the shower floor was set. The concrete and tile moved the base of the shower up like 2 or 3 inches. So, the sprays now hit more in my knees, butt, and lower back. They do tilt up, but not really enough to compensate.

We removed a jacuzzi to install the big shower. I absolutely know that we use the sprays more often than we would ever have used the jacuzzi. As for cleaning, they are WAY easier to clean than the stupid jacuzzi (it was here and it was filthy when we bought the house). The Grohe ones have little rubber "tips" for the sprays. You just sort of rub your sponge over them and they clean right up. Also, I spray them with the shower door spray every once in a while. They are shiny chrome--not trendy, I know--and they look great.

If you decide to keep them, just be sure that your plumber keeps in mind the shower floor. Also, my plumber did do one really cool thing. My rainshower head and handheld are the thermostatic control and the sprays are on separate hot/cold handles. This means you get full force from each "appliance" when they are on. He said that if they were all on together on the same thermostatic control, you would get wimpy power from the sprays.

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

I have a shower panel that has every shower head in existence :)

My most used are 1. rainhead, 2. inyourface head 3. spout for filling buckets for various chores 4. body sprays. I hate the body sprays! the jets are too sharp, low volume, simply annoying. I dont like pressurized water at all. Seems like a car wash. I prefer a higher volume, or a gentle shower.

Will not do body sprays in the other baths.

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

I like the body sprays and use them maybe every 3rd or 4th shower. It's not an all the time thing, but some days they are just nice. Ours are really minimal to clean and we have 4 body sprays. They take a "swipe" with a cloth maybe once a month. How much cleaning could they need??? Just use the wash cloth you used that last shower and wipe them off and toss it in the hamper to wash along with everything else.

Also a tip: Once a week I spray some Lysol (regular ole lysol) around the shower, after I shower, WITHOUT squeegying for a change. I think it helps keep the shower cleaner.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

I enjoy the body sprays in my shower which are temperature controlled by the same thermostatic valve that the showerheads are connected through. You simply need to install a temperature control valve that is large enough to supply all the emitters you're likely to have on at the same time. Either a 3/4" valve or a 1" valve, depending on flow rates of your various emitters.

That being said, if you live in a place with high water rates or a high sewer tax that is determined by water usage, you'll want to be conscious of what you have going on in a shower. Shower heads are limited by federal regulation to dispensing no more than 2.5 gallons per minute. Oddly, there's no restriction to the number of shower heads that you're permitted in a shower, so technically, you can blow through as much water as you want.

Showering with a single shower head will use a maximum of 2.5 gallons per minute. If you've got a shower head and 3 body sprays going simultaneously, you're now going to be using 10 gallons per minute (2.5 gals per emitter). At that rate, a 10 minute shower is going to send 100 gallons down the drain. It doesn't take long for the costs associated with a luxury shower to really add up. You also need to keep this in mind when sizing your water heater because you'll be using 4 times as much hot water, too.

As much as I enjoy my body sprays, I now limit their use to a Sunday morning treat -- for only a portion of my shower. I simply can't justify their use on a daily basis. It just seems wasteful.

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

I love my body sprays, but I only have two. DW and I use them with every shower. There's a diverter controlling relative flow between the body sprays and the main showerhead. I like a minimum amount of water out of the body sprays, while DW likes them fairly strong. The diverter is key for controlling the strength.

That said, my sprays are above waist height. I don't think I'd want one anywhere below waist height.

• trader_deb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

teched - REALLY GREAT point about the height of the body sprays! We've made the same mistake but it's not too late to fix it!! The spray heights are just right NOW, without the shower floor set! I better call our GC and have them moved up 3-4 inches... thanks for the heads up!

pharoah - my DH requested the ones with "gentle" when we picked out the body sprays... Hopefully the sprays won't be sharp. Very good input. Do you think you would you like your body sprays if they were gentle misting sprays?

cindiandmocha - Thanks for the cleaning tip! Good to know that it's easy to clean.

jamesk - our plumber also put the temperature control thermostatic valve to control body sprays and rain head and handheld. He told me that he put in a larger pipe (I think he said 3/4) and that it would be more than sufficient to run every head simultaneously. Very good point about the number of gallons used! We'll have to be careful about that.

Thanks everyone for your great inputs! I definitely feel better about putting these in now. DH is the one who wanted them, I've been dubious but went along for the fun factor. Now I think it will be fun for occasional pampering. And since I'm the one who cares about a clean the shower it's good to know that cleaning is easy.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

We've got dual shower heads, and each has 2 sprays, about chest height. I use them just about every day for a couple minutes to rinse off, and LOVE them. Very relaxing, not too sharp. When I want to indulge, I turn both sets on (they're on perpendicular walls, so if I stand in the center, I feel flooded in water. MMMMM....

• lpolk
    16 years ago

Our new master shower has what you are planning: rain, handheld, regular head, and body sprays.

I am with pharoah. I use the rain first, the regular normal head second, the handheld third (also great for cleaning!) and occasionally the sprays.

I like the sprays OK, mine are the grohe with rubber tips that are not too forceful, but I could definitely live without them. I am also consious of the water waste, especially since we do not have a jumbo heater.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I read an article where an owner of a plumbing supply house was quoted as saying it only takes 3 people with the multiple showerhead/body sprays to waste the amount of water 97 people will use with a single low-flow showerhead. It was definitely a sobering statement.

For a pretty good in-your-face showerhead, the Oxygenics seem to do a good job for 1.5 gall/minute.

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

"I read an article where an owner of a plumbing supply house was quoted as saying it only takes 3 people with the multiple showerhead/body sprays to waste the amount of water 97 people will use with a single low-flow showerhead"

I think you'd either drown or flood your shower if you were consuming the equivalent of 32 showerheads at 2.5gpm (probably not not physically possible with standard household plumbing and water pressures in any case).

With my 2 bodysprays, I'd be willing to believe that I'm consuming the equivalent of 2 additional people though.

• ken_zuckhome_com
    13 years ago

Thinking about putting in just two. Wasn't sure whether to put them horizontal or vertical. Any suggestions?