Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Pedestal vs. Cabinet Vanity in Full Bathroom?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

What are people's feelings about using a pedestal sink vs. a cabinet style vanity in a full bathroom?

Would like your feedback as we have some secondary bathrooms (guests/kids) that we would like to save money on & put pedestals sinks in there vs. having cabinetry.

Storage isn't a concern as we have plenty of build-in shelving's & closets around these areas.

Comments (6)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I like to have plenty of counter space, so pedestals wouldn't work for me, except in a powder room.

• igloochic
    11 years ago

I'm a bit of an expert on this LOL I bought a bed and breakfast and it is now a house. We have 13 bathrooms and two have cabinets for the sinks...the rest have pedestals.

The pedestals look pretty but are pretty much useless even for guests. The best one we have is a large basin with a wonderfully large surround but it goes for about ten grand retail so it's no savings.

I have asked my guests what they prefer. If you have a pedestal you have to have shelving for even a casual user to put their things on. Bathroom things are not always pretty...things like soap, razors, a washcloth, etc. Deodorant, mouthwash and toothpaste....all will be prominently displayed if you have just a pedestal.

We are moving the beautiful pedestal to the powder room on the main floor because no one stays in there. The balance will be donated because they are a pain. We need to keep a victorian feel so we'll have some pedestal types, but they will have nice large marble surrounds and other cabinets in the room.

People don't like to have to put their tooth brush in a cabinet...it's just not enough efficient storage for someone to use. Yes they're cheap...but not worth a buck IMO!

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

I just tore out two and called Habitat for Humanity to come get them. Hate them. Even if storage isn't a problem for you, what about water splashing out and/or dripping down? And the afore-mentioned "stuff" issues - everyone needs toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair brushes, soaps, lotions, etc. It is not convenient for anyone.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

I prefer the look of a sink without cabinetry, so we chose a console sink. It gives you more counter space than most pedestals... but, still not as much as a really long cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Bathroom

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I really like having a counter, so if you don't need pedestal sinks for a certain look, I'd recommend a vanity cabinet. They don't have to be expensive - especially if you can find an all-inclusive one at big box stores or on Amazon or overstock.com.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

VictoriaElizabeth (My Page) on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 15:38
    I prefer the look of a sink without cabinetry, so we chose a console sink. It gives you more counter space than most pedestals... but, still not as much as a really long cabinet.

Have always admired your style & work!
    Thank you for the feedback (& every1 else too).

I think, getting a pedestal or console such as yours with more area surrounding the basin opening would alleviate some water splashing & storage concerns for me.