Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guest Bathroom Remodeling Do's and Don'ts, Mission Completed

Posted by flyingkite (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 16:40

This is a follow up of the original thread:

Guest Bathroom Remodeling Do's and Don'ts

Long story short, our small guest bathroom is actually our primary bathroom because we gave up our master bath on the first floor to my mother in law.

My DW came out with an idea to remodel our "guest" bathroom with all the bells and whistles like expensive tile, heated floors, frameless sliding doors, high end toilet, steam shower etc.

Thanks to the GardenWeb, my friends and coworkers we came up with the more realistic approach and you will be the judge.

My special thanks to enduring, catbuilder, palimpsest, bob_cville, raehelen, gladys1924, linelle, pps7, MMhappy, lori_inthenw, nancy_in_mich, HarvestGold, MrsPete, noopd, juliekcmo, LongTimeLurker, Chibimimi, cat_mom, robotropolis, nancy_in_mich for sharing their expereance and, of course, to Mary, who initiated original Do's and Don'ts.

Our master/guest bathroom before:

After:

DSC_5143_01

DSC_5149

DSC_4728

DSC_5135

DSC_5147

DSC_5166_01

Happy New Year!

This post was edited by flyingkite on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 11:53

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guest Bathroom Remodeling Do's and Don'ts, Mission Completed

Oh, it's beautiful. The shower is so welcoming. Such an improvement from the old shower look. Bravo!

What brand of shower door did you use? I have considered one similar and am still looking at options.

o

It's gorgeous! Can you give us some written details to go along with those great pics? ie type of stone/tile, is that a washlet I spy on the toilet? Were you able to find a pencil in the same stone as your counter? (It looks like it's the same?) Hoping to have mine done soon!

o

enduring & raehelen,

Thank you.

The details:

Doors: VIGO VG6041CHCL6074 Frameless Tempered Glass Sliding Enclosure, Chrome

Floor & Wall Tile: Marazzi glazed porcelain, Archeology collection, Chaco Canion

Backspash & Shower Wall Decor: Travertine stone

Medicine Cabinet: KOHLER 16"W x 20"H aluminum single-door cabinet with mirrored door

Faucet: Axor 11020001 Urquiola Single Hole Faucet in Chrome

Shower: Moen Delta Arzo Custom Contemporary Vertical Spa Rain Shower Handshower Set

Robe Hooks: Grohe 40 364 Essentials Robe Hook

Toothbrush Tumbler: Hansgrohe 41504000 Puravida Toothbrush Tumbler, Chrome

Soap Dispenser: Hansgrohe 41503 PuraVida Soap Dispenser

Toilet Brush: Hansgrohe PuraVida Toilet Brush w/Holder

Towel Bars: Delta Faucet 75930 Trinsic 30-Inch Towel Bar, Chrome & Delta Faucet 75912 Trinsic 12-Inch Towel Bar, Chrome

Toilet: American Standard 2989.101.020 Concealed Trapway Cadet 3 Right Height Elongated

Bidet seat: TOTO SW554-11 Washlet S300 Elongated Front Toilet Seat

Vanity: allen roth Ballantyne 30-in x W 21-in D Mocha With Ebony Glaze Traditional Bathroom Vanity

VIGO doors look great but they have a slight green tint that can be noticeable if your wall tile is white or close to white.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find a pencil in the same stone as my countertop but our contractor did a great job finding a very close match.

This post was edited by flyingkite on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 0:30

o

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Awesome! I'd love to be standing under that rain head.

o

Looks great! Congratulations.

o

It's a little jewel box!

o

We still didn't receive the final invoice from our contractor so I can't post our detailed expenses yet but I want to share some lessons learned during our remodeling.

First, the most common mistake all contractors make, they drill the hole for the faucet either too close to the wall or too far from the point where the faucet can be properly centered over the drain.

Work it out with your contractor and double check the location of the hole prior to drilling. Be sure that you can freely move the faucet handle back and force.

Second, if you have water supply for the toilet coming through the floor ask your contractor if it's possible to reinstall the plumbing from the floor to the wall. You will get better appearance and it will make cleaning easier. Last but not least, you will have more room to access the shut off valve.

Third, ask contractor to install the GFCI receptacle near the toilet.
Even if you are not planning to install a Bidet seat right now you can change your mind later, wiring for the Bidet seat in the finished bathroom could be quite challenging.

Fourth, toilet selection. Standard toilet looks very large, it is the first thing that steals your attention when you open a door into the small bathroom. The alternatives can be very costly, but life is short, if your budget allows you can install something like this:

o

Wow that is beautiful, both in the overall look as well in all of the little touches that make it functional. It definitely looks like it should hit the mark of what your wife wanted. Kudos to you both.

And thanks for sharing the results. To think I had even the tiniest part in something that turned out so beautifully makes me smile.

o

bob_cville,

Thank you. Your part was far from being the tiniest, especially your advice to stay away from the steam shower.

o

There are some reviews on build.com saying that the Vigo doors have a reputation for leaking. Have you had any experience with this?

Your bathroom looks great!!

o

No, so far no leaks.

o

What is that toilet that you posted the picture of? We are doing a teeny tiny bathroom and probably will have to go with something like this. Thanks!

P.S. Beautiful bathroom!

o

I just saw this post and love your bathroom... .also I adore that granite (is that granite?) I'm thinking of re-doing our main bathroom and would love a granite countertop like yours!

o

o

luvofbeauty75,

Yes, it's a granite, we picked it from the remnants in the granite shop.

o

why is there a mirror over the toilet?

o

Yikes! I think that's a bit out of our price range :) That is nuts!

One other question, if you don't mind. Why did you decide against a steam shower?

This post was edited by sbollag on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 1:31

o

pprioroh,

It's a Medicine Cabinet.

sbollag,

We discussed it in full in the original thread, Guest Bathroom Remodeling Do's and Don'ts.

I was advised against it.

First, a steam shower may be too much, especially if it is hard to get one made that does not leak eventually.

Second, possible problems with the venting that can cause mold & mildew.

o

*bump and a hijack*

I ran across this on an internet search for "how many heads should I have in my shower?"

Flyingkite - this shower is great and almost identical to the one we are planning for the master bath (down to your tile pattern!). I have a few questions for you:

Now that you've had this for awhile, how do you like it? How big is the finished shower? Are the rainhead plus the handheld enough or do you wish you had an extra head?

What size and what kind of water heater do you have? Is it sufficient?

Also, how do you like the doors now that you've lived with them? Do they leak? I might steal that idea - i really love the barn door effect. Looks great!

o

Swentastic,

The more we use our shower the more we love it!

Shower size is 5' x 3', glass doors 74''x31 1/2'' each. home
Rainhead & the handheld should be enough.

We have 90 gallon heater but we are just family of three.

So far doors don't leak and look awesome but of course, for a price, you have to use squeegee tool every time you take a shower!

Good luck with your master bath remodeling!

This post was edited by flyingkite on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 20:49

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here