Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyingkite

Guest Bathroom Remodeling Do's and Don'ts, Mission Completed

flyingkite
10 years ago

This is a follow up of the original thread:

Guest Bathroom Remodeling Do's and Don'ts

Long story short, our small guest bathroom is actually our primary bathroom because we gave up our master bath on the first floor to my mother in law.

My DW came out with an idea to remodel our "guest" bathroom with all the bells and whistles like expensive tile, heated floors, frameless sliding doors, high end toilet, steam shower etc.

Thanks to the GardenWeb, my friends and coworkers we came up with the more realistic approach and you will be the judge.

My special thanks to enduring, catbuilder, palimpsest, bob_cville, raehelen, gladys1924, linelle, pps7, MMhappy, lori_inthenw, nancy_in_mich, HarvestGold, MrsPete, noopd, juliekcmo, LongTimeLurker, Chibimimi, cat_mom, robotropolis, nancy_in_mich for sharing their expereance and, of course, to Mary, who initiated original Do's and Don'ts.

Our master/guest bathroom before:

After:

Happy New Year!

This post was edited by flyingkite on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 11:53

Comments (28)

• enduring
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, it's beautiful. The shower is so welcoming. Such an improvement from the old shower look. Bravo!

What brand of shower door did you use? I have considered one similar and am still looking at options.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous! Can you give us some written details to go along with those great pics? ie type of stone/tile, is that a washlet I spy on the toilet? Were you able to find a pencil in the same stone as your counter? (It looks like it's the same?) Hoping to have mine done soon!

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

enduring & raehelen,

Thank you.

The details:

Doors: VIGO VG6041CHCL6074 Frameless Tempered Glass Sliding Enclosure, Chrome

Floor & Wall Tile: Marazzi glazed porcelain, Archeology collection, Chaco Canion

Backspash & Shower Wall Decor: Travertine stone

Medicine Cabinet: KOHLER 16"W x 20"H aluminum single-door cabinet with mirrored door

Faucet: Axor 11020001 Urquiola Single Hole Faucet in Chrome

Shower: Moen Delta Arzo Custom Contemporary Vertical Spa Rain Shower Handshower Set

Robe Hooks: Grohe 40 364 Essentials Robe Hook

Toothbrush Tumbler: Hansgrohe 41504000 Puravida Toothbrush Tumbler, Chrome

Soap Dispenser: Hansgrohe 41503 PuraVida Soap Dispenser

Toilet Brush: Hansgrohe PuraVida Toilet Brush w/Holder

Towel Bars: Delta Faucet 75930 Trinsic 30-Inch Towel Bar, Chrome & Delta Faucet 75912 Trinsic 12-Inch Towel Bar, Chrome

Toilet: American Standard 2989.101.020 Concealed Trapway Cadet 3 Right Height Elongated

Bidet seat: TOTO SW554-11 Washlet S300 Elongated Front Toilet Seat

Vanity: allen roth Ballantyne 30-in x W 21-in D Mocha With Ebony Glaze Traditional Bathroom Vanity

VIGO doors look great but they have a slight green tint that can be noticeable if your wall tile is white or close to white.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find a pencil in the same stone as my countertop but our contractor did a great job finding a very close match.

This post was edited by flyingkite on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 0:30

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Awesome! I'd love to be standing under that rain head.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Looks great! Congratulations.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

It's a little jewel box!

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We still didn't receive the final invoice from our contractor so I can't post our detailed expenses yet but I want to share some lessons learned during our remodeling.

First, the most common mistake all contractors make, they drill the hole for the faucet either too close to the wall or too far from the point where the faucet can be properly centered over the drain.

Work it out with your contractor and double check the location of the hole prior to drilling. Be sure that you can freely move the faucet handle back and force.

Second, if you have water supply for the toilet coming through the floor ask your contractor if it's possible to reinstall the plumbing from the floor to the wall. You will get better appearance and it will make cleaning easier. Last but not least, you will have more room to access the shut off valve.

Third, ask contractor to install the GFCI receptacle near the toilet.
    Even if you are not planning to install a Bidet seat right now you can change your mind later, wiring for the Bidet seat in the finished bathroom could be quite challenging.

Fourth, toilet selection. Standard toilet looks very large, it is the first thing that steals your attention when you open a door into the small bathroom. The alternatives can be very costly, but life is short, if your budget allows you can install something like this:

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

Wow that is beautiful, both in the overall look as well in all of the little touches that make it functional. It definitely looks like it should hit the mark of what your wife wanted. Kudos to you both.

And thanks for sharing the results. To think I had even the tiniest part in something that turned out so beautifully makes me smile.

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bob_cville,

Thank you. Your part was far from being the tiniest, especially your advice to stay away from the steam shower.

• polkadotz
    9 years ago

There are some reviews on build.com saying that the Vigo doors have a reputation for leaking. Have you had any experience with this?

Your bathroom looks great!!

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, so far no leaks.

• sbollag
    9 years ago

What is that toilet that you posted the picture of? We are doing a teeny tiny bathroom and probably will have to go with something like this. Thanks!

P.S. Beautiful bathroom!

• luvofbeauty75
    9 years ago

I just saw this post and love your bathroom... .also I adore that granite (is that granite?) I'm thinking of re-doing our main bathroom and would love a granite countertop like yours!

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • flyingkite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

luvofbeauty75,

Yes, it's a granite, we picked it from the remnants in the granite shop.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

why is there a mirror over the toilet?

• sbollag
    9 years ago

Yikes! I think that's a bit out of our price range :) That is nuts!

One other question, if you don't mind. Why did you decide against a steam shower?

This post was edited by sbollag on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 1:31

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pprioroh,

It's a Medicine Cabinet.

sbollag,

We discussed it in full in the original thread, Guest Bathroom Remodeling Do's and Don'ts.

I was advised against it.

First, a steam shower may be too much, especially if it is hard to get one made that does not leak eventually.

Second, possible problems with the venting that can cause mold & mildew.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

*bump and a hijack*

I ran across this on an internet search for "how many heads should I have in my shower?"

Flyingkite - this shower is great and almost identical to the one we are planning for the master bath (down to your tile pattern!). I have a few questions for you:

Now that you've had this for awhile, how do you like it? How big is the finished shower? Are the rainhead plus the handheld enough or do you wish you had an extra head?

What size and what kind of water heater do you have? Is it sufficient?

Also, how do you like the doors now that you've lived with them? Do they leak? I might steal that idea - i really love the barn door effect. Looks great!

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swentastic,

The more we use our shower the more we love it!

The shower size is 5' x 3', the glass doors are 74''x31 1/2'' each. home
    The rainhead & the handheld should be enough.

We have a 90 gallon heater but we are just a family of three.

So far the doors don't leak and look awesome but of course, for a price, you have to use a squeegee tool every time you take a shower!

Good luck with your master bath remodeling!

This post was edited by flyingkite on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 19:46

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Whoah! That's a 5K toilet! Size aside, I see that it has a built-in bidet /washlet . . . but that's an awful lot for a toilet!

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Flyingkite - I am a bit late to this thread, but I want to say your bathroom is awesome, and your "before" is very similar to my guest bath that I am looking to re-do. Especially the dated Hollywood lights that I have too. Can you please provide the name and/or source of the lovely light fixture over your sink? It's a beauty. And also the fabulous round mirror with the faceted border. I cannot believe no one has asked about that mirror!

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Very welcoming, warm, and cozy! Kudos to your wife and you for the tile choices. I love the way you and/or your tiler chose to place the tiles. The floor tiles are fun, the way they form diamonds, instead of making random wavy directions. I also love the shower tiles in a vertical running bond pattern. Again, they were not randomly lain, the tiler gave some thought to direction of the flow of the grain. I especially like that you tiled to the ceiling.

I admire the bits of shiny bling, especially the mirror. It is very pretty, balancing the masculine "rock" messages sent out by the dark tile on the floor right in front of the vanity.

My DH and I will be turning our only full bath into a shower-only and it is just a bit bigger than your room. It is good to see that you, after giving up the master to her mom, can find a bit of luxury in your smaller guest bathroom!

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nancy_in_mich,

Thank you very much and good luck with your remodeling project!

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs_Nyefnyef,

We bought our round mirror at Lowes, it's inexpensive but I'm not sure if it's still available, I didn't find it on the Lowes online site.

We bought our lights at Amazon:

Minka Lavery 3243-77, Cashelmara Reversible Glass Wall Vanity Lighting, 3 Light, 300 Watts, Chrome

They also sell two and four light fixtures in the same style and finish.

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

desmonsm,

We just cut pieces from the tile leftovers, large niche dimensions are 11 1/8 x 11 1/8.