Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapforchandran

Bathroom Tile Protruding out n Cleaning Problem

sapforchandran
10 years ago

Hello Experts,
Happy Holidays. Trust all had a nice Christmas with Families and Friends.
Well, in the attached pic, you can see two columns of tiles in my bathroom are protruding outside. I am afraid when I take shower water might get inside the tiles and make them worse.

I live in this rented apartment and I need to live here for next 3 months only ! Any suggestions on how to fix this are welcome.

Also there is dirt on the tile walls. When i try to scrub off the dirt, the plaster also peels off. I got a DAP Patching Plaster yesterday from Lowes thinking I can use it to mix and apply.

Pls. suggest how these two problems. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• bananafana
    10 years ago

It looks like the wall has deteriorated behind the tile, which isn't unusual when water has had places to get behind the tile, especially if the apartment was built many decades ago. What is peeling off is probably a silicone caulk that someone put over the grout lines to attempt to reduce the water infiltration through the grout lines, is my guess.

My experience with my old house (built in 1929) is that there is no fix for the tile after there is so much water deterioration of the wall behind the tile, short of removing all of the damaged wall, replacing it with cement board or whatever is the most up-to-date wall product these days, and then re-tiling.

I'm sure you're not going to do that work for a place you rent. What we did before we bit the bullet and replaced the tub/shower walls, is to neatly duct tape white vinyl shower curtain liners to the wall to prevent further damage. Put them up high on the wall but make sure they cover all the way down to the top of the tub. The liners are cheap---like $3-$5. They keep the wall dry. And you won't have to look at the crappy walls if you get white liners rather than clear. It's not an elegant fix, but it will work for 3 months. In any case, old wet walls deteriorate and it shouldn't be something that the landlord holds you responsible for.

Not sure how to clean it for now. Elbow grease, scrubby sponges, and household cleaner with hot water? Looks like it will take some doing.

• sapforchandran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks Bananafana. Appreciate your feedback. As suggested will get a liner and cover it up completely.

Have a wonderful weekend and Happy New Year.

Regards,
    Chandran

• enduring
    10 years ago

How long have you lived in this place? Maybe you have been responsible for the damage. What did the wall look like before you moved in? If the damage wasn't there before you moved in I don't know how that is taken care of. Your lease should address these damage issues.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Your problem has been going on for a long time and as mentioned there is more than likely water damage going on. Regardless of how long you have lived there, whatever prior "fix" someone made, the owner should know of this issue and resolve it. Think mold, weak structure, falling tiles, etc. None of which you would want to be near. In all honesty, I couldn't take a shower in there.