Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountdgal

1 Mirror/2 Lights or 2 Mirrors/3 Sconces

mountdgal
9 years ago

Hi all.. thank you so much for your help thus far with this very stressful process! I'm renovating my bathroom and have a question regarding my 60" vanity's lighting. As you can see from my layout, the side of the vanity faces the entry door. The pocket door position can not change or moved. It is what it is. My vanity is very similar to the photo below. I really like the look of two mirrors and 3 sconces but the only way I can pull that off is if I move the vanity a few inches closer to the door. What should I do? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My layout (minus the knee wall).

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Correction to the Layout Above. The vanity is only 60".

• enduring
    9 years ago

Is your example a 60" vanity? it would work with 3 sconces then like they show. But I don't think that is nearly enough lumens for proper vanity lighting. I have a bathroom about this size and 2 sconces at 120watts each is not enough lighting. I went with these sized sconces because it is in my other room, so I don't know what gives, but I would make sure you had at least 120watts per sconce and having 3 is better than 2. You can always put it on a dimmer. If you have overhead lighting all the better. My recent bathroom remodel that is sized similar to yours, has 2 fan vents with lights in each at 50 watts, and my 2 sconces at 120watts and it is just passable for lighting. I turn my heating lamp on that is in the ceiling to get good lighting for a short period as I put on makeup.

See how it's kind of dim? In the mirror you can see the reflection of my vent fan lighting, there are 2 of these too. It's barely bright enough for makeup. But I can do makeup by braille.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I think a lot depends on the kind of light. That's sort of stating the obvious, but enduring's post made me think. I don't know the exact size of her bathroom, but mine is 5 x 10. My vanity is about the size of hers. I don't have sconces, although I love how flattering the light is. I have a 5-light fixture over my vanity, using 50-watt globe lights, for a total of 250-watts. No other lights at all, other than a south-facing window which gives lots of light during the day. 250 watts makes my bathroom very bright, not just for the vanity but in the shower as well. So, the total wattage is less than enduring's, but I have plenty of light.

To the OP, you have limited space along your vanity wall. If you go with three sconces, and want them to be beyond the ends of your vanity, you will have to move the vanity down and the sconce to the left will be right in your face when coming in the door.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Yeah, Linelle is right about the spacing. I see what she's saying about the wall.

My lights, in the pic I've shown, is using those tiny halogen bulbs at 60watts per bulb and 2 bulbs per fixture. When I compare to my other bathroom, the bulbs there are 100 watts in a standard screw in bulb, per fixture. There are 2 of them. Way different. The shades are another factor that could be dimming the light in my bathroom shown.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! I already have limited space so I'm thinking maybe I can do a sconce in the middle and a light on top of each mirror. Or just skip the sconce all together. I agree about needing another light but I am torn between adding a recessed light over my shower and adding a pretty chandelier fixture in the center. Which do you think I should do? Btw I'm not doing a fan light bc I want one of those Bluetooth speaker exhausts. If I can find one with a light I'm sold ;)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

mountdgal, will you be putting on makeup at this vanity? You don't want just flattering light; you want the light of reality, how you're gonna look when you step outside into less flattering light. When I'm putting on makeup, I need the truth. :)

Besides, I hate standing when I put on makeup. So I use a little desk in my office as a makeup station.

But, about your bathroom. Sconces look great. Everyone says, oh you need sconces. I don't have them and I don't feel deprived. If you get a nice fixture for over your mirror(s) that gives you plenty of watts/lumens potential, you should be fine. You don't want that vanity wall too horizontally cluttered.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you linelle! I always stand at the bathroom mirror when I apply makeup but perhaps I should try sitting for a change.. It wouldn't hurt to put a small vanity in my bedroom. Do you think two bright lights over my mirrors will give me enough light for the entire bathroom? I didn't plan on installing a light over the shower so the two vanity lights will be all I have. By the way, im not too concerned about light during the day because the exterior door is the kind with miniblinds between the glass.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

We currently have a 60" vanity with overhead lights. Our bathroom is 5' x 10', and I read that I need 300 watts of light for that size bathroom. I'm sold on sconces for our remodel because of our aging eyesight. We'll have two sconces with one sink. I've looked at all kinds of mirror configurations, but what makes the most sense is to set the sconces into a large mirror so that the light is bounced around the room.

Did you say in another post that your ceiling is only 7 1/2' tall? I'm not sure a chandelier would look so good. I think they're better in powder rooms and in spacious bathrooms. Instead, I would use an exhaust fan/light combination to put light and ventilation over the toilet and shower area. I wouldn't count on the vanity lights, door, and a decorative chandy to supply enough light for the other side of the room. You need light for cleaning the toilet and shower and if anyone reads while on the can.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

mountdgal, your bathroom is about 50% larger than mine, so take that into consideration. My fixture (photo is of 3 lights but mine has 5) takes up to 100 watts per light, so I have the potential of 500 watts. Half that is plenty, perfect in fact. My lights are downward facing, which makes a huge difference. Yes, there are the normal shadows, but nothing severe. Because the ends of the bulbs are exposed and most bulbs have ugly stamps that can be VERY difficult to remove, I realized that globe lights (vanity, Hollywood, boob) are perfect, stamp-free. I have a dimmer switch but I never use it.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So if I understand correctly, downward facing lfixtures over the mirror emit more light than sconces or upward facing light fixtures?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

We currently have a 60" vanity with overhead lights. Our bathroom is 5' x 10', and I read that I need 300 watts of light for that size bathroom. I'm sold on sconces for our remodel because of our aging eyesight. We'll have two sconces with one sink. I've looked at all kinds of mirror configurations, but what makes the most sense is to set the sconces into a large mirror so that the light is bounced around the room.

Did you say in another post that your ceiling is only 7 1/2' tall? I'm not sure a chandelier would look so good. I think they're better in powder rooms and in spacious bathrooms. Instead, I would use an exhaust fan/light combination to put light and ventilation over the toilet and shower area. I wouldn't count on the vanity lights, door, and a decorative chandy to supply enough light for the other side of the room. You need light for cleaning the toilet and shower and if anyone reads while on the can.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks May. I agree!

• Valerie Garber
    last year

Help, I want the sconces that are shown in the Golden Boys and Me. Please help!