Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dimensions for medicine cabinet?

Posted by Lauralena (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 16:29

Much as I hate medicine cabinets, I have to get one for my bathroom (currently under renovation), as I need the storage and don't want a decorative mirror AND a wall cabinet.

Old bathroom had 24" wide vanity plus a tiny medicine cabinet above it. (See this pic and my follow-up pic). There's a toilet to the right of the vanity, visible only in the pic connected with this first post.

I like these (see link below), but I don't know what size to get. Bathroom will be floor to ceiling beige travertine and don't want to detract from the tile. When you walk into the bathroom, it's @ 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" (not counting mostly closed off alcove tub/shower). Facing you will be the vanity (24" x 36"), the toilet to the right of it, that's it. Ceiling is 8'. Would the 24" x 36" medicine cabinet (same dimension as the vanity) be too big? Should I do 24" x 30" or 25" x 26"? Or should it be narrower than the vanity (20" or less)?

There will be a little less than 5' of space above the vanity. I will probably put a vanity light above the medicine cabinet, a there's no room for a wall sconce on the left side.

The talented people on these boards have been so helpful to me in the past. Hoping someone can weigh in. Thank you all so much!

P.S. Already bought the vanity, so if anyone can think of any better storage solutions (you can see I'm pressed for space) than a deep medicine cabinet, please chime in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler medicine cabinets

This post was edited by Lauralena on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 17:32

Follow-Up Postings:

o
If it helps, here's the current wall.

Here's the crappy rental setup (I've since bought my apartment) I'm replacing. Old vanity also 24" wide.

o
RE: dimensions for medicine cabinet?

you could get a mirrored medicine cabinet. IKEA has some as an example. Maybe get one as big as the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirrored wall cabinets

o

Thank you! sloyd. I've heard the "rule" that a bathroom mirror shouldn't be wider than a vanity. does the same rule apply to a medicine cabinet? I really do need the storage.

o

Can you put blue tape on the walls for each size mirror. That should give you an idea of what each size will look like. The area is small, wall to wall, and you could easily get away with a large one that fills the space. It would also help to make the room appear larger.

-Babka

o

I think it could work for you, would not worry about the rules if you like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here