Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexz7272

Beginning of master bathroom remodel!

Alexz7272
9 years ago

So we've been in the house about a year now, it was a foreclosure and was not maintained and was very outdated. We did a semi remodel to tie us over until we could do a full remodel. So after 6 months with out mini one, we now are going to attack and do the full one! So excited!

When we bought the house:

After our mini remodel: (We stained the cabinets dark to match our more modern style)
{{gwi:2133738}}

{{gwi:2133739}}

Current:
So we've just started tearing up the floor in the bathroom and worked on opening up the MASSIVE and unnecessary closet that was in there. Lots of wasted space. Of course they just placed board over linoleum then tiled. Sometimes you just wonder what people were thinking.

{{gwi:2133740}}

So our plan is to completely re-arrange the bathroom. We will be pushing the new shower into where the closet was, moving the toilet the back wall instead of in the middle of the freaking room! We are also planning to do a full glass enclosed shower with a bench in it,

This is the new design:
{{gwi:2133741}}

The style of large tile and then a backasplash accent line is what we are planning to do:
{{gwi:2133742}}

{{gwi:2133743}}

But we are planning to use these materials:
{{gwi:2133744}}

We have yet to decide on flooring though.

Comments (10)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Wow! That's gonna be quite the transformation. Will you be redoing the vanity area again too?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Wow! That's gonna be quite the transformation. Will you be redoing the vanity area again too?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

• Alexz7272
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are considering it! We might go for a bigger vanity as the current one is just 49 and we'd like to get double sinks and new granite. We saved A LOT on the counter top in there, so it would not be so awful to pull it off and put on a new one. Our main issue right now is finding what we want to lay on the shower floor!

• Alexz7272
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wanted to post an update on the progress we have made so far!!

We finished demolishing the complete bathroom, took out about a foot & a half bulk area with nothing behind it and added about 5 inches in the area we are now putting the toilet in.

{{gwi:2133745}}

We relocated & rearranged the plumbing to accommodate the new design, reinforced the flooring, moved the vent, some wiring, all kinds of fun stuff.

We did pretty well with the floor being open for about two days, even with two 4 month old puppies, until the last day....My fiancee tried to break out of the bathroom via the ceiling.

{{gwi:2133746}}

{{gwi:2133747}}

{{gwi:2133748}}

We closed up the floor and prepared to create our half wall and start laying tile and the shower pan!

{{gwi:2133749}}

Half wall completed!
    {{gwi:2133750}}

Got the tiling down, still need to grout!!

{{gwi:2133751}}

{{gwi:2133752}}

{{gwi:2133753}}

And finally, checking out the pebbles we chose for the bottom of the shower.

{{gwi:2133754}}

That's all for now!

• polly929
    9 years ago

I love the pebble floor. We just used the same in our shower stall.
    Looks great so far. We are in the design stage of our main bathroom. I just ordered a tub and vanity today.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Your floor tile is pretty! What is it?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Looking great! Do the pebble squares fit closer together?

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

You're probably well along by now, but when using sheet pebble, I'll often pull some of the pebbles that are on the edges of the sheet off and rotate or relocate them to disguise and blend the edges of the sheets.

Or I'll strip all the pebbles off of a sheet or two and keep them in a small cup. I'll gap the sheets a bit and infill with loose pebbles from the cup.

It may sound slow, but it goes quickly, and looks good to the eye.

While most sheet materials are designed to fit together...they don't always do that. It's sometimes not apparent until after grouting.

You have your sheets dry-fit in a stacked pattern, You can also offset the sheets in an offset bond to get rid of some of the lines due to the stacked pattern.

Good luck!

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

I probably shouldn't pry, but may I ask a couple of questions?

What is your waterproofing plan for the shower?

With the insulation in the stud bays and what appears to be tar paper showing behind the insulation, is this bathroom a corner bath with two exterior walls? It's a bit confusing to me because part of the wall looks like it may be an exterior wall, and another part it looks like I can see the back of drywall which would indicate perhaps it's an interior wall.

A question is regarding what looks to be an electrical outlet in the bottom right corner of the shower wall. Was that a wall outlet that was rotated to the side of the stud? I'm probably over-reaching here, but you don't want to bury junction boxes inside of framing bays. Junction boxes need to be accessible. It might be accessible from the other side of the wall, or you might already have addressed the box. But I thought I'd ask.

And lastly, the copper supply tubing in the walls. If those are exterior walls and if you're in a freezing climate, at a minimum I'll try to slip rigid foam insulation between the tubing and the exterior sheathing. Rigid foam will protect much better than fiberglass.

Again, my questions/comments are unsolicited. No worries if they are off-base.

Good luck with the reno.