Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjtrom

One bath down, one to go -- Vintage inspired guest bath remodel

kjo_tx
10 years ago

Hey y'all! I'm a long-time lurker on GardenWeb and finally decided to get my act together and start posting. Me and my folks (God bless them!) are renovating and adding on to my Queen Anne Bungalow which was in really sorry shape when I bought it. I'll post some pictures of the exterior changes over at the Old House forum and link them together.

We've been working on the project for just under 11 months now which included a basically back to "studs" remodel where we've done all new plumbing, electrical, floors (unfort the original hardwoods were too far gone to refinish with nail head and the tongues all exposed) etc, but the first fully complete project was the guest bath! The house was an original 2/1 which we're adding on to to make a 3/2. The bath was in such miserable shape (indicative of the whole house) that the only thing holding the toilet up was the sewer pipe! Budget was around 3.5-5K and we kept right at budget.

Worst part of this project: Running to Home Depot every time we needed to pee! (One bath house)

So here's some reveal pictures...

Before and Progress:

Best way to remove the tub? Sawzall!

The room is already starting to look bigger!

That's not an optical illusion, yet the toilet is slanted... why?

Oh that's why! Who needs a subfloor or floor when the sewer pipe can hold the toilet up? We repaired all rot and damage and installed subfloor properly

Priming tongue and groove wainscotting

Starting to come together

Kerdi and Ditra oh my!

Floor in, shower wall tile going up

Salvaged dentil crown from another 100+ yr home that was demolished, love the detail in each piece

I enjoy tiling, especially the final details

Installing the glass

After:

Overall

Looking into the bathroom

Vanity

Vanity Wall

Toe and Groove 1x6 Pine Wainscotting

Towel Hooks - Restoration Hardware (Total Splurge but they bring together the glass knobs we have scattered around the rest of the house so well!)

Original 100+ yr window and casing. The crown at the top of the room came from a salvage yard in town and each dentil is an individual piece. Pain to paint, love the detail.

Original casing, new solid core MDF doors -- Every door in the house was completely destroyed and un-salvageable.

Salvaged crown moulding - it's got great character!

Porcelain floors - great marble look-alike, at 1/4th of the price and easier maintenance!

Frameless shower with glass tile floor

Glass tile floor - Tile was stock tile from Lowe's

Bathroom in relation to the rest of the house

Pottery barn swivel mirror... we needed something to go above the wainscot top rail.

Depth of the wainscot top rail... led to some issues finding the light and mirror, but looks so wonderful in the end!

Shower walls - Porcelain marble-look-a-like 12"x24" tiles, carrera marble border and white glass subway. Floor tiles and wall tiles all from Floor and Decor and under $3/sq ft.

(Preview of Kitchen to come.... still a work in progress on half of the kitchen in the new addition...)

Basics:
Vanity: 45" Allen + Roth vanity from Lowe's with pre-installed sink and marble top
Faucet: $100 faucet from Overstock... can't remember which one
Mirror: Pottery Barn Kensington Wide Pivot Mirror
Light: Seagull light - don't remember the specific - ~$120 and chosen because it had a longer reach from the wall.
Floor Tile: Floor and Decor Carrara look-a-like, I think similar to this: http://www.flooranddecor.com/statuary-carrara-porcelain-tile-20in-x-20in.html
Wall Tile: Floor and Decor, similar to this: http://www.flooranddecor.com/carrara-polished-porcelain-tile-12in-x-24in.html
Shower Floor: Lowes GLSEASHELLMOS mosaic

I'm looking forward to start the master bath and will keep everyone update was it progresses!

Comments (105)

• mrspete
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You know, I really liked that teal green shade that was in the bathroom to start with, and I was asking myself, "Why would they remove that great color?" But then the brown was so much better! I am so strong on shape and layout, but I totally suck at color -- I know what I like when I see it, but I can't pick it out myself.

What brings it all home for me, however, is the paneling-wainscoting. Beautiful, and the little shelf along the top is the cherry on top.

And the only thing I like better than those mosaic tiles you used in this shower . . . are the penny round tiles you're using in your other shower. Really, those mosaics are just the right touch of color in just the right place.

Love vintage.

A question: Do I understand you don't have a door on this moderate-sized shower? Just three pieces of glass and an opening? I thought that was a possibility ONLY for large showers? And your shower head seems to be centered in the shower? Not tucked over away from the opening? Is it working out well for you? No spillage problems? I'd love to do something similar.

Also, what's the bathroom's overall size?

Again, loved it!

This post was edited by MrsPete on Tue, May 20, 14 at 10:27

• domcats
    9 years ago

Thank you for your posts. I am just starting a overhaul on a 1840's schoolhouse. I have to take it to its original four walls and want to make it a one bath studio with Murphy bed. You are a inspiration for design. As busy as you are with the remodel please keep up the posts. I also appreciate your detail information.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

FANTASTIC job! I love everything about it..

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us..It almost looks doable for my ugly nbathroom..

I was wondering if you could share the exact color paint and brand name? I love it and my bathroom would look awesome..

Thanks again...

MIke

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

wow, what an inspiration you are! Both bathrooms look amazing! Can't wait to see photos of the exterior and rest of house. Great job!!

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike: Both bathrooms are Sherwin Williams's "Perfect Greige" which we had mixed up in Valspar Paint+Primer (Flat). The white on the trim everywhere is just standard Ultra Pure White in semi-gloss.

MrsPete -- On the guest bath, the showerhead isn't actually centered in the space, it's offset more to the right where the fixed glass panel is. You are right though that there is no door on the shower, and it's worked fine for us so far since we've been using it as the primary bath until the master is complete.

Happy news: Other than the glass for the shower (Which is on order and delivery maybe Friday?), the bathroom is complete (Along with the majority of the house!). I'll get some updated pictures of the bathroom, house, etc and post them for all to see this weekend hopefully!

Thanks for all the encouragement - glad that everyone has been so positive about the designs!

• smoochas
    9 years ago

Your front door - is that a new door or are you just refinishing an existing one? We are debating if we should refinishing ours. Do you have a storm door that goes in front of that pretty door?
    Great work - lots of inspiration here. Thank you!

• makepeace
    9 years ago

Beautiful bathroom remodel! Fabulous job and design sense! I like almost all of the little details. But, when I'm at someone else's house, seeing a bucket next to a toilet is a little scary to me . It might be better if instead you were to make a small, old-style, box-lid laundry hamper, painted white of course, maybe with some cute little cut-outs on the side :) Nice work!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I love love everything! I am in the North Houston area not sure what area you are? I absolutely am drooling over the counter tops color. I had basically decided to go with one of the soapstones with movement and similar coloring. Is your stone granite? I don't know where the yard is your stone came from can you tell me the name and location?
    Your father is an amazing craftsman! And you certainly inherited talent from him. You are so fortune. My husband is pretty handy too Thankfully.
    I so appreciate your budget sense! But it looks top shelf all the way.
    The details are spot on for the house.
    I am bookmarking this because I know I will have questions!
    My first is does your father work for hire? I need him lol.
    I am currently wanting some cabinetry built in the master bedroom and need a good woodworking person.

Please keep posting pictures and updates.

• puppycat
    9 years ago

I love what you've done. We remodeled a place we bought in the country. I would make one tiny recommendation: use the stainless steel fixtures...our water is hard and krud builds up on the faucets...with chrome, i have to worry about hurting the finish...SS is not much more and almost all faucets can be bought in it. Where I used SS, they clean up like new. Also..question? Are your doorknobs original? I have boxes of old doorlnob sets but no one to put the proper holes in the doors....bummer

• erika320
    9 years ago

I agree, I really like your style! I am considering the same tile for my shower floor as you did in your master bath. I love it, but when I see it in some showrooms at the Tile Shop it is pretty slippery. I am hesitant to use it. Have you had any problems? Is it slippery? How about the beautiful glass tile in your guest bath?

I really appreciate your help!

• shelayne
    9 years ago

Amazing bathrooms! Looking forward to more photos!

• liz_h
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! You now have a bathroom worth of the beautiful door frame. :)

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok - first, apologies! I didn't get pictures taken this weekend. Life got busy, so soon: I promise.

Second: This will be kind of a long post so I can reply to everyone.

My folks are definitely glad to be finishing up. We tied up the last final inspections yesterday and are just wrapping up some minor things on the “to do” list before they move to Nashville, TN. They’ve agreed to do a 1914 house for my younger sister in Nashville’s hot East End. I can’t believe they signed up to do another full reno before they build their retirement house in New Mexico.

Raven: I live in the Heights so not too far away from you! My stone is a “granite” (to the stone yard, really a schist or gneiss) and I got it from the IGM slab yard off of Hempstead. My fabricator was fantastic so if you need a name, shoot me a message.

The slabs are 3cm River White. For the kitchen and bathroom together, I think the total granite cost with fabrication was about $5500 which was well worth it considering some of the tough obstacles they fit it around in the kitchen.

My cabinetry wasn’t actually custom but was from Conestoga cabinets and then we put it together. It actually was a bit of a pain since the two sink basins also had drawers in it so we had to have bracing to attach the drawer glides too -- This wouldn’t have been an issue if I’d skipped the inset and done full overlay.

Makepeace: the bucket you noticed is actually my trash bucket and it’s cute in real life, it looks almost identical to this: Trash Bucket

Smoochas: They are actually new front doors, two of them. I sourced them with our local lumber yard who had a local guy make them, and they are really freaking heavy, although gorgeous.

They’re mahogany and we used Sikkens Cetol 1/23 on them in the Natural color which brought out a really pretty honey red. Normally I’m against reddish stains, but they contrast beautifully with the house. I’ll be sure to get new pictures of the front of the house showing them off.

No, I don’t have a storm door over them, in my neighborhood it’s rare to see storm doors and about 50% of the doors are stained wood and the others painted wood. It’s a historic district so solid wood is required, no fiberglass which would have been easier for upkeep but since we had to fit them in existing casings, wood worked just fine.

Puppycat: We don’t have hard water in my area and I’ve had chrome in the kitchen for the last year with it cleaning up beautifully, so I had no concerns doing chrome in the master bath. I love the glitz that the sparkle of chrome brings.

Regarding door knobs: Actually, no, most of them aren’t original, although the entire house does have mortised door sets now. There are instructions about how to mortise a door online, its not the easiest thing to do, but its not especially hard either (well, at least my Dad says so, he mortised the doors). There are one or two original knobs in the house, and I wish there were more... So if you’re looking to get rid of those old sets, just let me know ;) Being that the house had been reno-ed a couple of times throughout its history, the original knobs disappeared along the way.

Erika: Nope, neither has been slippery primarily because with the small format mosaic there is a large amount of grout that your feet grip onto. It’d say most any small mosaic is probably fine if both chiny porcelain and glass haven’t been slippery.

• pupwhipped
    9 years ago

Holy deer antlers!!! This is all beyond fabulous...and you are a doll to share it with us. Thanks so much!

Blessings to you and your family,
    pup

P.S. I haven't been on this forum in forever. You can bet this thread has certainly shown me what I've been missing!

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

"They’re mahogany and we used Sikkens Cetol 1/23 on them in the Natural color which brought out a really pretty honey red."

It's stuff like this that I love.

When I saw your door I was going to post and recommend Cetol, but it looked like it was already in the finishing stage so I kept quiet.

The beauty of Cetol is that while it is indeed a great product, it's so easy to maintain. With most finishes, when they show signs of wear it's a full sanding to bare wood then a multi-coat refinish. With Cetol, all that is required is a cleaning and light scrubbing, then another coat of Cetol for rejuvenation.

I built a 7-0 x 3-6 mahogany front door for my house a couple of years ago and Cetol was it for me.

Anyhow, nice choice!

• imaginejem
    9 years ago

I am so inspired, and also, can your parents come help me in Nashville once they're done with your sister? ;) I'm about to begin major renovations on my 1930 cottage and could use such awesome expertise!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Your slabs are gorgeous! I just had River White installed in my kitchen and it's a totally different look. Interesting. Nice progress :)

• loves2read
    9 years ago

would love to see finished photos of the master and any other rooms you care to share
    looks lovely--
    did you use a styrofoam pan for the master as for the guest?

what material for the board/batten siding? and could you give dimensions for the room overall, and the sections of the board/batten w/the top chair rail?

Redoing master bath in FL vacation house and we are trying to decide if the room will work with a board/batten type wall on one side--
    we will have white Mid-Continent cabinetry with some doors in Shaker fronts and two with a beadboard inset...

• enduring
    9 years ago

Loves2read, isn't this a great thread :) glad you revived it. Would love to see finished pics.

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok ok, I'm sorry! Here are final pictures I *just* took so sorry that the quality isn't great!

I haven't finished putting artwork in all the frames yet in the bathroom and kitchen - so just overlook that, please ;)

For all those interested, my folks are solidly into the "Nashville Project" and my Dad writes a kind of building journal. It's not glamorous and he's likely to not know even what type of paint or color they're using but for the adventurous it's located here. My sister also keeps an infrequently updated blog about their project which is a lot more fun to read but less current located here.

Master bath first:

Kitchen

(I love my "custom" 15" pantry- from Conestoga Cabinets)

Actual pantry and vacuum storage space

Other random spaces:

Our first attempt at chalk paint and distressing - my dining room buffet.

Guest Room

Master Bedroom - I swear this room always looks "busy" in pictures, but it's awesome in real life.

Laundry Room - As odd as it sounds, this might be my favorite room in the whole house because it's just loaded full with shelving and storage!

(Excuse the mess on the shelves right now!)

So there ya go! I'll take some outdoor pictures when the sun is shinning.

This post was edited by kjo_tx on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 22:05

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry a lot of the pictures are showing up in an off-white, I promise it's all crisp ultra-white everywhere. This is what I get for taking pictures on a rainy day at night!

As far as to the questions since I last updated:

Loves2read: Yes, we used the exact same prosource kit for the master bath as the guest bathroom.

The board and batten wainscoting is constructed out of pre-finished mdf trim boards - primarily because (1) they have nice, slightly rounded edges and (2) we didn't have to prime them - which after all the trim that went in this house was a god send. The horizontal top rail is a 1x4 on top of a 1x3 and then has small crown under it. This is stacked on top of a vertical 1x4.

Here's it close-up:

The rails and stiles are 1x3s I believe. The base of the wainscoting is 7" baseboard on top of a 1x3 that sticks up just past it. Example:

(This picture actually shows the color of the tile, vanity, and walls as in real life).

I don't have my tape measure handy right now, but rough dimension is 12' x 10' for the entire room.

The vanity is 6' long, the shower is about 42-46" including the bench if I remember correctly.

On the tub wall - the tub is 5-1/2', and then there are about 30" for the toilet space, and the door is a 28" wide plus the trim.

Any other questions, let me know. One of these days I'll actually take better pictures when the sun is shining and the light is better!

• bkmc
    9 years ago

Love your baths, kjo. Would you mind sharing your shower enclosure source? And your front door lumber yard?

I'm doing a reno in Houston and am in the market for both...

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bkmc - Sure! What part of town are you renovating in?

The front doors are from Grogan's which is a lumber yard in the Heights. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you Charles phone number and e-mail - he does all the custom order items and we also got all of my Jeldwen wood patio doors and windows from Grogans at over 50% off what the box store wanted!

Montabalano Lumber on Houston Ave is also a great resource - we used them for my 116 siding on the addition and t&g beadboard in the first bath.

For the shower enclosures - the first one we did through Heights Glass and were happy with it - it was ~$1150 I think.

For the second one, we actually went with "Shower Doors of Houston" because they do their own tempering, and it was even cheaper even though there was more glass to cut and drill!

I ordered the CRLaurence hardware online.

For both showers, we did the install ourselves.

Hope that helps!

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

kjo, I hope you never tire of hearing about how beautiful your home is! I love your bathrooms. I have been planning a white and black and marble bath for a while - with a pale yellow for the splash of color for painted cabinetry. I love your porcelain tile. I refuse to use tile in my shower because I don't live up to the demands of grout, though. You have used the polished tile on your floors, too. I see that you do have large, plush rugs for when you exit the shower, but I imagine that by now you must have stepped onto the floor tile with wet feet, though. How does it do for slip resistance? Has anyone left a puddle on the tile for anyone to step into with shoes on? Any slipping, falls, or near falls with the glossy tiles on the floor? I really love the marble-like tile you have chosen. Your two bathrooms are gorgeous, and thank you for sharing all of the details with us.

• dstrkitten
    9 years ago

Maybe I missed this in the posting, but could I ask about the black vanity in the master bath? I have been looking everywhere for vanities with drawers.

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitten:

The master vanity is 6', espresso stained, but could be done in a painted black (or any color/stain) if that's what you're looking for. It's basically just three cabinets put together to make a vanity.

I ordered it from Conestoga through the Cabinet Joint. It's three 24" cabinets -- Two sink basins (with drawers!!) and one 24" drawer stack. Doing it again, I'd probably make the sink basins a little bigger because we had to offset the plumbing since the drawers in the sink basins were more than half of the cabinet wide, but I do love the space I get out of it.

It's beaded inset and then a standard shaker door front on the bigger doors.

• polly929
    9 years ago

kjo_tx-
    I LOVE both of your bathrooms. We are just about to embark on a bathroom renovation. Just curious (and forgive me if I missed this in the long thread, because I couldn't find it) what kind of grout you used with your white subway tile and how is it holding up? It looks white to me, is it a mildew resistant grout?
    Our current 1950s bathroom, the shower stall tile would mildew within days of scrubbing it. I would scrub it so hard, and it was stained, I felt like I was fighting an uphill battle against it. I'm trying to avoid that at all costs with our new shower and I love the look of white with white, but I hate the look of stained grout.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

WOW! That's a LOT of work! but VERY well done!

Thanks for posting....I loved it all!!!!!!!!!!!

• shelayne
    9 years ago

Your home is so beautiful! I love all your little details that make it so much more than a house. The finishes are wonderful!

Thank you for sharing!

• faulstr
    9 years ago

I skimmed through the posts, so sorry if I missed, but where are your solid recessed 5 panel doors from? We are going with raised 5 panel doors but we really want a recessed panel but they were like twice the price from the supplier.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

inspiring! Thank for all the nice pictures. You have a great eye for design and color. I am taking notes! I am having a hard time deciding on how to do my master bathroom. Seeing your pictures is really helping me.

What grout did you use with the subway tile?

How tall is the board batten in the master.

Very nice work. Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 1:44

• burningmustard
    9 years ago

Could you share the specifics of your 24" floor tiles in the master? I thought I read where you ordered them, but now can't find it. thanks!

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mustard - I bought them from my local Floor and Decor store which is a discount tile store. I'm happy with the quality although I will warn since they are smooth finished (Polished look) without texture, they are really slick. I haven't had any issues as along you dry off well after showering.

Here's the link:

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/carrara-polished-porcelain-tile-912500315.html#prefn1=size&start=24&sz=12&prefv1=24in.+x+24in.

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey guys! That's weird - the transition to Houzz means all of the finished reveal pictures and rest of my original post disappeared!

Details:

Floor is porcelain tile that is a carrara marble look alike from Floor and Decor.

Shower floor is glass "seashell" mosaic from Lowe's

Door is a new masonite 5-panel door that is special order from Home Depot

Vanity = Allen + Roth from Lowe's

Crown Molding = Salvaged from a local salvage yard

• jenmendel23
    9 years ago

Aha! I was kinda wondering why people were so effusive over the in-progress photos. ;-) It's gorgeous. And I have that very same vanity pinned. Thank you!

One more question, while I'm thinking of it: I love white penny tile but fear it will get super dirty/be hard to keep looking fresh. Is that an issue?

kjo_tx thanked jenmendel23
  • jenmendel23
    9 years ago

BTW, we are doing a top to bottom reno on a 1910 foursquare. This is the paneling (is that the right word? Is it wainscoting?) throughout the downstairs, kinda sorta similar to what's in your master bath.

We took down one wall of it, and I was thinking of using some in the new master...

Not sure why it's posting sideways but you get the point...

• kjo_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jen - that's a board and batten style and looks pretty darn nice in your picture! We did a "faux" style by using the sheetrock as the panel and building on it, but in your case looks like the actual best way to do it. If you can salvage it, I would sure as heck re-use it! I love paneling everywhere, there are some great pictures here on Houzz of it used in mud rooms, dining rooms, and of course bathrooms :)

Also - If re-using it, I'd add some cap boards to the top and maybe a small piece of crown (There's a pretty good close-up further up this thread of what we did). It gives it more dimension and even more practical since you use it as a shelf ledge.

• jenmendel23
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice. And thanks for being so generous with all the info. So helpful to hear from those who've gone before. And inspiring that one day I will actually have, like, walls and floors and stuff. ;-)

• testigo84
    9 years ago

What it the bathroom's size? Is beautiful! I just love it! :)

• jhanlon3
    8 years ago

Lovely sense of style! Bravo! We investigated porcelain marble look-alike tile but we decided on real marble which we will have to care for without any acidic products. Beware that there is a repeating pattern in marble look-alike porcelain tile like (on wall paper which will give away the secret.) We found great deals on Amazon and at Lowes for Bianco Carrara subways, pencils, chair rails and floor and shower floor hexes (1/3 the price of tile stores). We found a gorgeous remnant for our shower bench at a marble and stone shop at an amazing price. I can't wait until it's done to post photos! But back to your house... it's gorgeous!

• Nancy in Mich
    8 years ago

Jhanlon3, if only I did not have dogs, who tend to be sick in the bathroom when they do get sick. I also have an elderly dog whose aim on his incontinence mats is not perfect. For these reasons, lots of us are stuck with the porcelain or ceramic marble look-a-likes for our floors. I so wish the manufacturers would just come out and TELL us how many different patterns they make! How hard can that be? "We make seven unique patterns, but cannot guarantee you will get more than three or four in any given box of ten tiles."

• enduring
    8 years ago

Real marble can be tricky. Some of the product is weak, some will rust with exposure to water. I went with a porcelain in my shower and it is beautiful. There were repeating patterns but that was easy to work around. My counter is real carrara and it is beautiful too, and not a problem to care for. But porcelain is virtually non absorbent and perfect for the floors and walls of a bathroom and shower.

• H. A.
    7 years ago

Wow, you have a real knack! Stunning results. :)

Do you happen to know how many inches your vanity light extends from the wall? I am having the same issue trying to find a vanity light which extends far enough to accommodate our PB Kensington mirror when it's tilted. Any tips are appreciated!

• jhanlon3
    7 years ago

We measured them to be a projected 6 1/8" from the wall to the edge of the glass shade. They do fall behind the tilted mirrors a bit but the light is still excellent and I've never felt a lack while doing make up or hair. I used LED light bulbs, two in each fixture, which are brilliant (photo is from last year before we finished). Good luck with your project!

• gmp3
    7 years ago

Very pretty! Are those faux marble floor tiles slippery?

I love how timeless this bathroom is, it will never be overly dated.

• HU-443496199
    last year

Hello kjo_tx! I just found your thread and want to ask - is your glass mosaic still in good shape after all these years? Would you do it again? (I'm considering a glass mosaic for my shower floor.)

• k_j_trom
    last year

Hi! I ended up selling the house a few years ago, but it looked as good on that day as when they went in.

the glass mosaic is really easy to keep clean, doesnt scratch, and kept its shine! hope that helps!!!

• HU-443496199
    last year

Thanks for letting me know! So it never cracked or chipped or was slippery for you?

• enduring
    last year

Just to chip in, no pun intended. With small tiles the many grout lines would add texture to the floor and help with traction.