Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heated marble vs heated tile floors

Posted by KateB22 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 15:29

Building a new house. Will have radiant floor heating. In master bath I am deciding between white marble ( I guess marble tile) and regular ( porcelain?) tiles. Any thoughts on this? I am just beginning to look at this so don't even have a price point comparison yet.
As for comfortand beauty- which are better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heated marble vs heated tile floors

It makes no difference to the heating cables if the top surface is natural stone or tile. Either will conduct the heat properly if the substrate is handled correctly.

The biggest difference won't be in heating. It will be in wear and tear and cleaning. Porcelain holds a commanding lead for ease of maintenance and durability. Natural stone is beautiful, and some people are OK with the potential for damage and certainty for higher maintenance that comes with it. Some people prefer the beauty of easy care home surfaces. You have to get samples and subject them to simulated life wear and tear and decide if you can live with how they hold up.

o
RE: heated marble vs heated tile floors

I did one remodel with Carrera marble mosaic floors. I'm the only female in our house. I now know that urine splashes etch. Not a really big deal or super noticeable, but it does etch. Adequate "tapping" is a must!! I get irritated when I'm cleaning around the toilets and see all the etch marks.

Next remodel, I used slate-look porcelain tile. Both floors are heated--no difference between the two with that. Porcelain is the hands-down winner for maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here