Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly929

Need recommendations for a cast iron drop in soaker tub.

polly929
9 years ago

We are renovating our bathroom and I need recommendations for a drop in cast iron tub. Please do not recommend acrylic, I only want cast iron. We have a separate shower stall so this tub will only be used for bathing no showers. I want something deep and comfortable to soak in. I work long hours and used to love soaking in a hot bath in my old home before we moved to this house. Our current tub is cast iron but super short and it's not comfortable to soak in at all.

Comments (14)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Kohler Tea for Two, Reve, Biove or Maestro.

• dollymibella
    9 years ago

Tea for Two and Kallista has two.

• polly929
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But wanted to know if they are comfortable to soak in? Everything seems to be special order and I can't test them out. That's why I was looking for recommendations.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

There are relatively few drop in cast iron tubs on the market. The Kohler ones I listed are relatively long and relatively deep. I can only recommend based upon what your criteria are, and then the options are going to be limited.

The problem is going to be that not everyone is going to find the same things comfortable anyway--I don't like tubs that are too long, I feel like I slide down in them and my head could go under unless I hang on, which is not relaxing. So my opinion might not be that valid for you.

Also, one of my clients preferred the feel of the Archer, which is acrylic, to cast iron. So there's that, too. Some people think soaking in a good quality acrylic tub is more comfortable than cast iron.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

And my idea of a soaking tub is one like this. I've wanted one for years....

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese soaking tub

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Tomatofreak - I too have wanted a Japanese soaking tub. They look heavenly. Then I read, "The tubs typically hold more than 100 gallons of water, with all of the weight concentrated in a tight footprint." Oh dear.

• polly929
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an update: we did not end up going with the kohler. The width on all of them was too wide and the most narrow one at 28 inches was not deep enough.
    After a lot of searching I found the Minna waterworks 30 inch by 60 inch cast iron drop in soaker tub. DH went to the showroom in NYC today to see it in person and loved it. Apparently it was a very high end place and he wouldn't get in it to try it out though-lol. I probably would have. We plan on ordering it this week.

• enduring
    9 years ago

The Minna Waterworks tub looks like it will be a comfortable tub. I looked at the specs and the back slopes nicely. Deep at 14+ to overflow, and 20" deep total.

• polly929
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Enduring, may I just say you have one of the loveliest bathroom sinks I have ever seen. I have a soapstone kitchen counter and bar sink, but really pine for marble in the bathroom. I am not doing the marble floor like I always wanted because of the high maintenance, but really want it on the vanity and tub deck. If I didn't want marble so badly I would definitely be borrowing the design of that sink ;)

• enduring
    9 years ago

Hi Polly, thank you for your kind words. I can't blame you for not using marble flooring, with all the concerns I've seen on this site, I went with all porcelain in my second bathroom, floor and shower walls.

I wanted to do another soapstone sink and integrate it into a marble counter. It would have worked I think, but the SS remnant I had ended up not looking good with the marble. So I have an incomplete sink in our shop, that I need to finish. I might put it in the basement as a utility sink, or give it to my sister if she wants to remodel. I haven't given it much thought lately though.

Regarding marble counter. I did do a marble counter in my second bathroom and used a Kohler under mounted sink called Verticyl. There are several shapes, and contemporary.

here is an image, I have liked it. The marble is so pretty. The vanity is walnut in a frameless cabinet. It is hard to see in this pic. But the marble counter is nice with it:

This is a picture I took at an Ann Sacks store in Seattle last winter. Carrara under mounted tub. The fixtures were all Kallista, I think the tub was too:

• polly929
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Enduring! The pic you posted is exactly how we planon doing our tub. I know the marble is high maintenance but I only plan on using it around the tub, sink counter and accent tile in my shower stall. I know you had your soapstone vanity custom made, was the vanity in the picture custom made as well?

• enduring
    9 years ago

Yes the vanity was custom made to my specs, but not by my carpenter because I wanted contemporary walnut veneered cabinets which he said would be better managed by a local shop that he referred me to. I am very pleased. He installed them and finished all the carpentry that was needed on this second bathroom. He made the medicine cabinet too.

Vanity is a frameless line that the carpenters parents carry in their kitchen and bath design shop. Now my carpenter is not my carpenter, cause he is working for his parents as a project manager.

He was a gem!!!!!!!!!!

I have yet to do a "reveal" but need to before it looks too old fashioned, lol.

View of vanity before fixtures in place:

{{gwi:2133718}}

• enduring
    9 years ago

I will add that if I made the top drawers of my vanity a bit shorter, and the 2 bottom drawers an inch taller, I could have stacked TP 2high in the bottom drawer. As it is I can only get one layer in the drawer (that is one layer of Costco brand, I think I could get 2 layers of Northern in there, but only by Costco). I look discouragingly into that drawer each time I fill it with TP. It is conveniently located right next to the toilet :) for easy refilling of the TP holder. This bathroom is 8x10 and has a 36"x60" alcove shower, toilet, washer/dryer, and my vanity.