Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsingal_gw

Steam Shower Vapor Proof Light

wisconsingal
16 years ago

Hello All! I posted this on the lighting forum too but thought I might also try here...

We just finished building our custom home at the end of October and are working through our punch list with our builder and his subs. A big point of disagreement that we can't seem to resolve is the rc used in our master bathroom steam shower. The electrician used a light that is wet location approved but will not provide us any information/assurances that it is vapor proof as is recommended for steam showers. Can anyone shed some light on this as to what should be used in a steam shower? We went to the expense and trouble of making sure that the plumbing fixtures were all vapor proof and using a kerdi system behind the tile, now we just want to make sure that the light isn't going to be a weak link in the vapor proofing.

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)

• wisconsingal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mongo, Thanks so much for your reply! This is VERY helpful! Since URL does not specify vapor proof lights, only damp or wet locations (at least that is what our electrician said) how do you know if a light is "vapor-rated"?

Warmest regards,

Amy

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Amy,

That's the problem. Honestly, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a "residential" light UL listed as "vapor proof".

But some sellers will rate it as "vapor proof" based on the construction of the light. Not all "wet" or "damp" housings are "vapor proof".

Lemme see if I can find something on line...

It was more difficult than I thought. Most links were to commercial applications, where you need a vapor proof light for explosive purposes.

This is the only site I saw that mentions "vapor proof" lights.

What you want in your light is for the light's trim ring to be screwed (or mechanically snapped, or twist-locked, you want it to be a positive and secure connection) to the light's housing, and you want a gasket to be between the trim ring and the light housing.

Not all "wet/damp" lights will have that feature. But all "vapor proof" lights should.

Does that help?

Mongo

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Just realized you name/location. How's the winter? I used to live up on Big Cedar Lake, about a half-hour north of Milwaukee, in Slinger. We still go back there during the summer to spend a couple weeks on the lake.

Mongo

• Bill Coleman
    last year

IP65 is the type of vapor proof light you are looing for. There's a lot of trickery here by manufacturers so make sure you have the IP rating to insure it actually is of the spec you need

• PRO
    Erin Schertler
    11 months ago

what about IP66