Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline5_gw

Kohler doesn't provide sink templates anymore?!?!!!

jacqueline5
10 years ago

Seriously? My fabricators are at the house, they cut the sink holes on-site. Caxton sinks purchased from Keller, a plumbing supply house didn't have templates. I drive all the way into town, Keller opens eight Caxton boxes - no templates. Kohler is closed 'for the holiday'. I'm now at office max trying to have them print a template off Kohler's website but it is in a format called dfx that they can not open. Apparently it is an autocad program and I have to find a flipping architect to print this?! Meanwhile the fabricator is back at the house. This remodel is going to be the death of me and I'm MAD at Kohler. Under mount sinks without templates?!

Comments (10)

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I just installed 4 Kohler sinks and all had templates in the box. We are most of the way through our re-model and I get the feeling that it can kill you. Look on the bright side. At least you will have spent all your money before you go.

• jacqueline5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jackfre, thank you for making me laugh for the first time today! I definitely have spent all my money but I'd like to be around to enjoy the fruits of my labor (and frustration!).

I would have switched sinks at the last minute to any manufacturer on the shelf with a template except my toilet and clawfoot tub are Kohler biscuit color so I'm stuck with Kohler.

Out of sheer desperation, I also called Home Depot, Lowes, Ferguson and JW Wood, none of their Caxton sinks have the templates in the boxes! JW Wood said Kohler stopped including them to save money and force the fabricators to match the sinks to the counter holes. Honestly? I would rather have templates perfectly and uniformly matched to the sink. My fabricator has made his own out of cardboard and is doing it the old fashioned way. It'll work, but sheesh! who ever heard of undermount sinks without templates? I'm really glad I didn't try to talk The Husband into DIYing the counters!

• raehelen
    10 years ago

How frustrating! I ran into a similar problem with my faucet! No template in box or online, no measurements of height and width of faucet...when I contacted customer service, she had to get permission to retrieve the numbers off of the architect's drawings, but she couldn't send me a template...not allowed, and she said not available yet (though fixture was a model at least 2 years old). I ended up taking the faucet with me to fabricator's. He drilled holes and then we tested to make sure faucet fit.

You would think that with more and more DIY'ers than manufacturers would try to make it more user friendly!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

My fabricator stocks the Caxton sinks, so he has installed dozens of them. He told me that oval sinks are never perfectly oval. To compensate, he makes the sink cut-out a perfect oval and has the countertop slightly overhang the sink edge by about 1/4". So I doubt he even used a template.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

It would be a simple matter for Kohler to print the template on the side of the box. I like my Kohler fixtures but agree with you totally about template.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I can't believe a fabricator would cut sink openings on site. Is he doing this out in the yard? Dust collection? Mess? PPE?

• sloyder
    10 years ago

you can print the dxf file with the following free software

Here is a link that might be useful: dxf print software

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Any halfway reputable fabricator knows how to print a dfx file if they need to. Or owns the equipment that reads the file to cut the hole. NO reputable fabricator cuts a sink hole on site. You're not dealing with reputable pros here.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

I bought a Kohler sink for the powder room and it came with a template. It's not an undermount though, it's one of those that sit half way in to the counter.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor