Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

old metal soap dishes--how to install?

Fori
9 years ago

I'm fixing up this bathroom and the soapdish was loose so of course I just pulled it out to see what sort of disaster was hiding behind it. It's actually okay back there so the pink bathroom gets another chance.

The dish is the recessed type with a bar that you hope nobody actually uses as a grab bar. Most of these had a plastic insert on the bottom to hold the soap. It overlaps the tile so there is a little wiggle room on size but not a lot. There are new ones as well as new old stock available but they aren't the right size. All the ones I've found have screws to hold them in place; mine has no screws and was just stuck into mortar. It might have originally had some nubs (technical term!) to stick into the wet mortar but they're gone.

Here is a new one without a bar (and if I get a new one I'll skip the bar--too tempting to use!):

{{gwi:2133715}}

Any idea how I can reinstall this thing (after I clean it up as best as I can) or a new one? glue? caulk? The tile it rests on is secure, the mortar it sat in is mostly solid with a bit of crumbling at the back which I guess is to be expected when you fill a hold with mortar and shove in a soap dish. If I can find a replacement that requires screws, there isn't anything to screw into.

Thanks!

{{gwi:2133716}}

Comments (6)