Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alsomama

Has anyone used colorful tile?

alsomama
16 years ago

It seems that most people here use very neutral colors in their new bathrooms. They are lovely, but I lean towards bright colors. Has anyone done a more colorful bathroom?

Comments (11)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I did one several years ago in Coral Gables, Florida for the kids bathroom, where it was 4x4 random, about 60% white, 10% red, 10% blue, 10% yellow, and 10% green, all very bright colors. It really looked nice when it was done, but that was before I started taking pictures. The only one I've done recently was this one for a good friend of mine. It's his daughters' bathroom, both of whom are about kindergarden age. The little accent tiles were hand painted by his wife, as were the walls:

• alsomama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is so cute! Thanks!

• foolyap
    16 years ago

It seems that most people here use very neutral colors in their new bathrooms. They are lovely, but I lean towards bright colors. Has anyone done a more colorful bathroom?

We used vivid, dark red Marmoleum (linoleum) on the master bath floor, so were a bit worried about going too wild with walls. We decided to keep it relatively subdued, playing off the floor with a dark brown countertop, on a cherry cabinet, and with cherry wood shades, and some dark wood carvings as ornaments.

But we did go colorful in some accents.

In the shower stall, we used a faux limestone tile, but with iridescent tile as an accent stripe. I think these were from Oceanside Glasstile, but it's been a few years and I don't recall

{{gwi:1506109}}

Depending on the light, it can look greenish, blueish, or purple/red.

And on the cherry cabinets, we bought metal pulls from Carina Works:

Carina Works Metal Pulls

--Steve

• mayland
    16 years ago

A little. We used a blue/green glass mosaic as an accent strip around the white tiled walls of our kids bathroom. Also put the mosaic in the shower niche and niche behind vanity.
    Some pics below.

• charolais
    16 years ago

I have one that's not real colorful but a more than the usual.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I did in dd's bathroom; the shower has the colorful tiles in 5 by 5, framed by a row of slate, the floor has the accent pieces, paired with the neutral slate, it has a wow effect.

• kbacci14
    16 years ago

Wow Mitchdesj!
    Could we see the shower too?

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I'll try to find a picture on my IDisk, I'm away for now so I can't take a pic.

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

alsomamma,

It is tought to find non neutral bathrooms! You may want to browse through some bathroom books for ideas and even then, there are not too many. It also seemed that the really colorful, attractive tiles were from expensive manufacturers.

Good luck. I will have some pics within a month. I used a sage green crackle tile in a subway style.

Teresa

• amysrq
    16 years ago

I used Silestone Stellar Meadow. It doesn't show up very bright here but it is a nice rich green with little flecks of crushed mirror in it. I looked for a link on the Silestone site to show the color better, but it looks like it isn't available anymore.

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

This is probably the most colorful bathroom I have. You can't really tell from the photos, but the edges of the tiles have a bit of a metallic silver look, while the listello has the same silver finish on the face.

This is the shower.

Here's the floor.