Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walkerlife_gw

Shower/tub fixtures

Walkerlife
10 years ago

I will try to make this as clear as possible, but I have no plumbing knowledge.

I'm trying to figure out what I need in terms of two alcove tub/showers. I know I need the round control lever to turn it on/off(hold/cold), the tub faucet, and I would like to buy a handheld with slidebar. I guess my question is....it seems that the tub/shower combos come with controls, tub faucet, and fixed shower head. Do I just buy this knowing that I will not use the fixed showerhead, and replace it with the handheld with slide bar?

Also, for a shower stall, if I want to purchase a handheld with slide bar, do I just purchase the control separately?

I'm looking at the moen banbury line and the moen 3867 slide bar ( http://m.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-4-Function-Handshower-with-Slide-Bar-in-Chrome-3867/202221143?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202221143&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=202221143&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=298346236)

Thanks for any help!

Comments (7)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

For the shower, you would just then buy the valve trim and valve, either Moentrol or posi-temp - there are pros and cons that you can research here or on other plumbing forums. The cartridge that fits inside the valve comes with the valve trim.

For the shower/tub, sometimes it is cheaper to buy the set even if you don't use the shower head. But you can buy the separate valve trim/valve, tub spout w/diverter and hand shower/bar. You can mix the different Moen styles or even buy different brands. The valve trim must match the brand and valve type.

You will need to buy the tub drain assembly, cover and stopper. These will need to be matched up based on the type of stopper you choose.

I needed a longer tub spout so I ended up combining a Kohler tub spout, Delta valve trim to fit over the pre-existing valve, and a Grohe handshower (off of ebay).

It is not recommended to buy plumbing fixtures from the big box stores because they are specifically made to meet a lower price point. The outside will look the same but the inside may have inferior components. Buy from your local plumbing supply house or on the internet - you can search this forum for good websites. Always buy items that match the manufacturer's model number on its website.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 18:18

• enduring
    10 years ago

Here is one thread that is from a couple of years ago, but Mongoct has some great information for showers.

I have linked a large thread below, and here are some more threads:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg112139239337.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg020938466754.html

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ/Answers Bathroom Plumbing...

• Walkerlife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info.

If the model number at the box store matches the manufacturers website, how is it different? Or rather how do I know that the place I'm ordering online has better inner parts than the big box store, if they're labelled with the same model number?

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

My understanding is that online items should not be any different if the model numbers are the same as those on the manufacturer's website.

I just don't take a chance on plumbing fixtures at the big box stores. I usually want a different style and more choices. Also, the prices are much better on the internet and shipping is convenient. Moen and Delta do make collections specifically for Home Depot and Lowes so stay away from them.

Tubs, sinks, shower bases - fixtures are usually the same at Home Depot. Kohler toilets should be good. AS toilets are known to have a high incidence of defects at Home Depot (Terry Love Plumbing forum has a good thread on how to inspect your toilet before buying) Home Depot's prices can be quite good for popular models.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 0:34

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

"Do I just buy this knowing that I will not use the fixed showerhead, and replace it with the handheld with slide bar?"

Yes, that can work. Instead of plumbing the shower head outlet to a shower arm/head, you'll instead plumb it to a wall outlet. The handheld hose gets connected to the wall outlet, and you hang the handheld on the bracket mounted on the sliding bar.

"Also, for a shower stall, if I want to purchase a handheld with slide bar, do I just purchase the control separately?"

Yes. The valve can stands alone by itself. The valve can be Brand "A" and your handheld, hose, sliding bar assembly and wall outlet can be Brand "B".

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Hey Walkerlife,

There is really so much to learn about plumbing fixtures. As 'Williamsen' said on another post, "I am not an expert, just an over-analyzer", I am going to steal that quote! Mongoct has been an invaluable source of intelligent info over the years...the problem with the internet, is that often you can get conflicting info and who knows how to decipher which is true and which isn't? I have learned to trust what Mongoct says.

I also want to confirm what Anna suggested. For my first BR reno I didn't even consider a plumbing supply place..just assumed they were for the trade, was intimidated...felt uncomfortable...whatever. But, have used one for this present Master BR reno, and couldn't be happier. Price wise better than any big box store, better than internet (internet prices aren't as good in Canada as in the US), and you have access to good quality fixtures and are dealing with someone who is better informed than your box store employees. They are also usually open to price matching if you do happen to find the same thing for less elsewhere.

• basic_kim
    10 years ago

If you are still shopping for this, I bought a shower/tub setup from www.showerbuddy.com. Their prices were very reasonable, and I'm happy with what I purchased. Not a great website or photos, however.
    You can call and ask questions for your particular situation.
    1-888-287-1757

Here is a link that might be useful: ShowerBuddy