Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumnerhousesf_com

Crack in Marble threshold in shower

Hi,

We have a marble threshold in the shower and the base has a growing crack forming. If you look at the pictures you can see two perpendicular cracks.(you can see a reddish coloration near the cracks) The shorter crack going vertical against the glass doesn't seem to be a major issue. In fact it looks like that crack was filled at some point possibly by the installer but was not noticeable until now. The horizontal crack which now measures about 10" is growing. I assume this is caused by the constant water flow from showers, but is there a way to stop this? I'm afraid if I do nothing, the crack will grow large enough to weaken the marble and possibly break off.

It reminds me of what autoglass guys do when there is a small crack in windshield glass. They inject epoxy into the crack and the windshield will hold up longer without having to replace the whole thing.

So essentially I am hoping I can somehow fill the crack and I hope I don't have to replace the whole threshold at some point. Since the shower glass sits on top of the marble threshold it would be an annoying expense to replace the marble all because of a growing crack.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comment (1)