Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bojangling

Marble Floor Tile Grout Questions...

bojangling
12 years ago

I am redoing the flooring in a small basement bathroom (32 Sq Ft) and have selected the "MS International 3 in. x 6 in. Greecian White Marble Floor & Wall Tile" from Home Depot found here:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=100664302&R=100664302

I have some questions on the grout size and selection though and was hoping some of the experienced and helpful members of the forum could assist!

1. Should I use 1/16 or 1/8 grout size? Is it personal preference for looks or will one size help prevent chipping, lippage during installation, etc?

2. Based on the recommendation for #1, should I use sanded or unsanded grout on this polished marble tile?

3. Seems like Polyblend Platinum would be a good color choice, agree?

4. Do I need to seal the grout and tile? Before I grout? If so, sealer recommendation?

Thanks for any and all help!

Comments (7)

• bojangling
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bump....anyone? I have to tile this weekend.

• don92
    12 years ago

I would use a very small grout joint, seal the tile first and use an unsanded grout. Color is up to you.
    Butting tile like marble that close requires a VERY level surface. There is no room for error like there would be with a wide grout joint.

• bill_vincent
    12 years ago

1. Should I use 1/16 or 1/8 grout size? Is it personal preference for looks or will one size help prevent chipping, lippage during installation, etc?

For the most part, it's personal preference. If you use 1/16" joints, use unsanded grout. Anything larger, sanded. The one thing that would be technical preference is that the larger joint would hide lippage alot more.

2. Based on the recommendation for #1, should I use sanded or unsanded grout on this polished marble tile?

Answered already. I don't care what anyone says about scratching the face. I've heard of it being done, but I've been doing this for many years, and yet to ever scratch the face of marble with sanded grout, even when it was a commercial installation, and we were using a buffing machine to grout. The ONLY thing that determines the type of grout is joint size. Of course, if you use Laticrete's Permacolor grout, you eliminate the need to make a choice because they use a finer sand in this series of grout, so it works in all size grout joints.

3. Seems like Polyblend Platinum would be a good color choice, agree?

Yes, I do. But if you choose to go the Permacolor route, check into Silver Shadow. it's just as good.

4. Do I need to seal the grout and tile? Before I grout? If so, sealer recommendation?

I'm not a big one for grout sealing just for the sake of grout sealing, but the stone really SHOULD be grouted, nd it wouldn't hurt the grout if it got sealed along WITH the stone. Any good solvent based impregnating sealer will work well.

• bojangling
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! Tiled this weekend and it went well, largely based on your recommendations.

FYI for anyone who uses the any tile in the family of tiles I purchased...I went back to Home Depot and they now have a newer version of the tile with much darker gray veining throughout (more closely resembles the sample they show). The original tile came in a brown cardboard color box while the newer version came in a shiny black cardboard box. I much prefer the newer samples.

• bill_vincent
    12 years ago

but the stone really SHOULD be grouted

It should be grouted, but I meant SEALED. :-)

• bojangling
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Appreciate the correction...I had to re-read a few times but I eventually figured it out!

Will a polished marble stone really benefit from sealing?

• bill_vincent
    12 years ago

Yes. It'll help seal up the pores of the stone so that it's tougher to stain.