Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting plaster walls around shower surround?

Posted by eldwyn (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 13:43

Hi all,

My husband and I are young, first-time homeowners, and we just moved into a home that was built in 1928. The walls are plaster, and the bathroom has a standard shower surround with unprotected walls between the top of the surround and the ceiling. There is no existing water damage that we know of, but I assume plaster walls need to be protected from shower-related moisture just like drywall? If so, what is the best thing for us to do before we start taking showers in there? A waterproof membrane plus tile, or would something less extensive do the job?

I have researched similar topics in other threads, but the most common concern is existing damage. We just want to make sure the walls are protected against water, if they need to be. Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting plaster walls around shower surround?

It is not always necessary to protect the wall above the shower head. Water doesn't typically spray up there.

Use a good bathroom paint and be sure you have an exhaust fan with adiquate makeup air so that it can evacuate the moist air when you shower. Then be sure to let it run another 30 minutes after the shower to fully get the moisture out of the air. Many people put the timers in for the fan and set it accordingly when they shower. To get makeup air in the room while the door is closed you need to be sure there is enough clearance under the door for this to draw air, otherwise you will need to keep the door ajar. The room has to replace the air that is drawn out by the fan or it wont work.

o
RE: Protecting plaster walls around shower surround?

Thank you, enduring!

Technically there is a gap between the shower head and the top of the surround. We do have an exhaust fan that runs whenever the light is on, and a good gap under the door.

Maybe I should be looking at paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here