Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

Toilet That Can Stand Up to Being in Bath Next to Garage

friedajune
9 years ago

I have a full bath that is located immediately upon entering the home from the garage. The issue is that the bathroom gets dirty quickly due to its location. The counter and toilet top need to be constantly wiped down from dust and grit that evidently fly in from the garage. The tub is rarely used, but I have to clean it frequently because there is grit that settles in there. I do not have these issues with my bathrooms upstairs. Also, I do sweep the garage frequently, but the wind still brings in dirt and debris every day.

This bathroom's toilet is about 20 years old, was a "builders special" at the time, and I want to replace it. I always keep the lid down because it too gets dirt and dust on it. Do you have suggestions for a toilet that will withstand a lot of dust and grit? (BTW, I have Toto toilets in my upstairs bathrooms, and like them. One of them has Toto's Sanagloss finish, and while I like the toilet, I haven't been that impressed with Sanagloss.) I am thinking that perhaps for this bathroom next to the garage I need a toiiet that is skirted? Any other suggestions?

Comments (8)

• enduring
    9 years ago

There are a change of convenience stores in my area, Iowa, that use Toto toilets in the public restrooms. I think they are the Drakes. I believe they come in a skirted model but it might go under a different name. Now the store is not dusty, it does see a lot of daily use. And they still look good 6 or 7 years later.

Edited to say "chain" and not "change" as in the first line above :)

This post was edited by enduring on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 19:58

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't understand "a toilet standing up to wind and grit". I know you mean it gets dirty, but any stool would if it is caused by opening the garage door. The laundry is what you see when you come into my home from the garage and I never have anything settle on the washer and dryer. The placement of your home may make a wind current into the home when the garage is open. So make sure the garage door is closed before you open the door to the house.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 19:17

• friedajune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

EmmaR - I always make sure the garage door is closed before I open the door to the house. Always. Perhaps you have not experienced the midwestern climate LOL. Lots of wind, and I live in Chicago, so there is city grime to boot. So, my issue that I posted is not about removing the causes of the dust and grit, which are the wind, the climate, and the city. I am looking for suggestions of a toilet that perhaps might be for "tough use", perhaps commercial use, as Enduring suggested in her post.

• crl_
    9 years ago

A wall mounted toilet would be the easiest to clean. Perhaps that would help?

• User
    9 years ago

See what you can get in gray. It won't do anything fr cleanig other than disguise some of the dirt so you can go longer between cleanings. I know Kohle hasa couple of grays, and I've always been happy with their Class 6 flushing systm.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Wall mount is a great idea, in gray, lol.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

My garage is on the lee side of my house but the wind does come around and swirl right in front of it so I can understand getting all that dust and grit in there. No matter how often we clean it there is always grime that walks into the house with us.

I second the wall mount toilet. I never thought of them when I was replacing my toilets within the past two years but if ever again, that is the route I would take under any circumstances. The idea of just mopping underneath rather than the contortions needed to get around and behind floor mounted toilets sounds wonderful.

I love my Toto's but I too am unimpressed with the sani-gloss. I think it might work well if the toilet got constant use but with only 2 of us in the house the surface dries out between flushes.

• friedajune
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice. Unfortunately, I can't install a wall-mount toilet in this bath, though I wish I could. There is so little space behind the wall I could barely fit the recessed medicine cabinet, so I can't do a wall-mount toilet. I think my best bet is to find a toilet with the fewest nooks and crannies which means I guess a one-piece that is skirted. I'll try not to think about the opening in the back of toilet skirts where dirt can collect. :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!