Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janecat_gw

Please help: 16 x 11 Master Bath + Closet Layout

janecat
12 years ago

Would appreciate your thoughts about the following floor plan options for master bath/closet remodel. In particular, which would have the best flow for husband and wife using the area at the same time?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: 16x11 Master Bath & Closet Layout options

Comments (7)

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I love #3. That closet would be decadent, the traffic flow looks like you'd never be bumping into one another when entering shower or wc, and lots of space around the vanity so the other person could be there, too, or walk past with no problem. #4 is intriguing...I love the walk thru shower and separate closets, but it looks like it would be too crowded passing by the vanity to get to the far closet or exiting the wc.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

My favorite is #2. I think that in #3, you have the potential to run into a traffic jam at the initial doorway (at the sinks). #2 allows you to walk through anywhere (closet) and not knock into someone's behind.
    At least, that is how I see it.

I agree that #4 is too crowded. #5, I see the far sink being rarely used. #1 can only realistically have 1 sink in there (rather than 2, unless you make your linen closet a sink).

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

My favorite is #2. I think that in #3, you have the potential to run into a traffic jam at the initial doorway (at the sinks). #2 allows you to walk through anywhere (closet) and not knock into someone's behind.
    At least, that is how I see it.

I agree that #4 is too crowded. #5, I see the far sink being rarely used. #1 can only realistically have 1 sink in there (rather than 2, unless you make your linen closet a sink).

• janecat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I appreciate the advice on using closet doors to keep out moisture. Probably would use pocket doors for 1 and 2, Bi-fold or sliding for 4, and Standard doors for 3 and 5. I like to use a pocket door where I can but realize there are drawbacks... e.g., you can't put electrical, plumbing or hang pictures on the wall hiding the door.

This will be a major remodel. #4 is close to the current layout but the shower and toilet are together in a very small compartment and the sinks back up against the bedroom wall. We currently have two narrow doorways (no doors) for entry from the bedroom.

If anyone is still reading... for option #2, would it seem odd to walk through the bathroom to get to closet? I could split the sinks apart and put the doorway in the middle, creating a hallway of sorts to closet. Alternatively, I could do the exact same bathroom along the back wall and put the closet in the front, but would lose the long, uninterrupted wall for closet rod.

I favor #2 and #3 and I think the plumbing cost for number #2 would be less because everything is in one straight shot across an interior wall.

• blondelle
    12 years ago

Is the closet going to be closed off? If not, you will have the humidity from the shower in the closet inviting mildew. If you do close it off, your bathroom area will fell very cramped. Do you have closet space elsewhere? It just seems you're making a small, cramped bath just to have more closet space. Not sure if that's a good trade off, for resale reasons, or for your comfort in using the bath.

• coolbeansw
    12 years ago

I like #3 the best for flow and separation of the closet from the bath (for humidity reasons). I'd consider decreasing the length of the bottom closet wall to get a little more room in the bathroom.

#4 would be my second choice.

#1 -- feels cramped in the bath side. #2 -- I wouldn't want to have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet. #5 -- least favorite because the shower's too small and separate vanities chop up the space too much.