Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size of niche and a million other questions

Posted by drewem (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 13:15

Hello. We are building, and the project manager who was creating our shower niches and bench was let go. I was not given the chance to meet with him about our project, and did not know of his dismissal.

Now the new manager wants to meet to discuss the bathroom. I haven't thought of the sizes,(the original manager had experience building his own niches, and I was leaving it up to his judgement, with my input). Oh, and they want to meet on Wednesday.

I don't know if the new manager has any experience with niches, and want to be prepared.

What should I be looking for in a niche?
Is there a good size?
What type of material do I want for the bottom of it? Should the bottom extend out?
What kind of waterproofing should I ask for?

They are creating a bench, a pony wall will house the niches (2), and then there will be glass on top of the wall.

How high off the tub deck should the wall go up to?

I didn't want a full wall, it would have been too dark and enclosed feeling. Yes, we will have a light in the shower.

They are not willing under any circumstances to put the niches in the wall with the shower head, and this was the only way the (national) builder would work with me.

Any help, words of advice, will be appreciated! I've asked about niches before, and you all were so helpful, and provided wonderful pictures! Thank you again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of niche and a million other questions

What should I be looking for in a niche?

That it be big enough for your personal needs - do you use Costco-size shampoo bottles? How many items do you typically have in the shower?

Is there a good size?

See above.

What type of material do I want for the bottom of it?

It can be the same tile as the rest of your shower wall, it can be its own tile design, it can have a large piece of tile, granite slab or thick glass piece at the botton or as shelves.

Should the bottom extend out?
Up to you. I'm doing mine in the pony wall above a bench as well.

What kind of waterproofing should I ask for?

The same as the rest of your shower walls.

They are creating a bench, a pony wall will house the niches (2), and then there will be glass on top of the wall.

How high off the tub deck should the wall go up to?

If this is a shower/bathtub combo, tile up to the ceiling.
If you are talking about the pony wall - that's up to the overall design of your room. I am making my shower pony wall the height of my cabinet plus the 4" backsplash, which I am "wrapping around" the entire room. So think design and accessibility.

They are not willing under any circumstances to put the niches in the wall with the shower head, and this was the only way the (national) builder would work with me.

The wall with the shower head has plumbing in it - depending on your shower configuration it can get quite crowded in there! So there may be no room for a niche.

o

Thank you Gina!

No, it is not a shower/bathtub combo. It is a corner tub, and then the shower is next to it. We are creating a small wall on the tub deck, that will have the niches in it, and then the frameless clear glass goes on top. The shower area will be tiled to the ceiling.

Our tile is 10x13, marble look alike. I could do the niches as one piece of tile, so there aren't any grout lines on the back wall of the niche.

How deep?

The shower head wall is exterior, and it had an issue with insulation.

o

Gina, would you happen to have a picture you can post of your pony wall with niche?

o

They are generally about 4" deep untiled - the width of a 2 by 4.

The one I am currently building is going into the pony wall and will be a good 20" wide. Probably 18" all tiled. But they are generally not that wide. I have a lot of stuff and I buy big bottles!

o

tiled today- two pics - not yet grouted, but might give you an idea of finished size

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:49

o

pic 2

This post was edited by sparklebread on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:50

o

Just saw your request for picture - mine is in the framing stage but I could take a pic - I see your other post so you probably have made decisions. I am not home now to take the pic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here