Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
porkandham

What Size Rain Shower?

porkandham
13 years ago

We are in the process of adding a master suite to our house, and I'm trying to decide what size rain shower head to buy. It's a neo-angle shower. The walls that meet in the corner are 5 feet each, the walls that jut out into the room are 3 feet, and the glass door will be about 30 inches wide or so. The shower will have a wall mounted shower head and a hand shower on a slide bar. The rain head will be ceiling mounted in the center of the shower, and there will be a 6 in fan/can combo unit in the corner. The rain heads I'm looking at seem to range from 8-10 inches. What do y'all recommend?

Comments (6)

• sedeno77
    13 years ago

I have a 10" Hansgrohe and it's great!

• jacobse
    13 years ago

I also have a 10" Hansgrohe -- actually one from their Axor line: the 10" Uno Downpour.

I was planning to get the Hansgrohe version, the 240 Air, which is also 10" and has the same 180 nozzles, until I found this Axor version. The Axor has a flat, polished face, while the Raindance air has the ridged plastic used in all the Raindance Air showerheads.

I just love the look of the polished nickel (or chrome) face on the Axor version, and surprisingly to me, it isn't more expensive. We have the Raindance Air version as a 6" handheld (Raindance S 150 Air). You can see the grey plastic face of the Raidance Air series better in this picture than the one above of the larger head:

Here's a picture of our showerheads:

Back to your original question, I'd go with the 10" over the 8" because it gives you a wider cylinder of water. If you're getting a rain shower head, why not maximize the rain shower experience? You've got a nice size shower, so I don't think there's any reason to go smaller. (Of course, you can go larger than 10"; there are 12" and 14" rain heads as well, but you need a wider water supply line for the larger of these, and the prices get pretty astronomical for the larger heads.)

-- Eric

• porkandham
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the quick replies! The pictures are great too.

• User
    13 years ago

I have the 10" Axor also and we love it. c

• mh_bath
    13 years ago

What is the recommended height for a rain shower head from hansgrohe? I was thinking about placing the same shower head in my ceiling too. I have 9 foot ceilings. Is that too high?

• jacobse
    13 years ago

For the Hansgrohe/Axor raindance heads coming out of the ceiling, you use the 27479000 (chome)/27479820 (nickel) extension pipe, which is 4" long.

Add that to the 2-3/8 height of the Axor Downpour showerhead, at on an 8' ceiling, the bottom of the showerhead would be just under 7'6" (maybe little less if you account for the shower bed's height above the base floor in the room). If your ceiling is 9', you may want a longer extension pipe from the ceiling, so the shower head doesn't end up too far above you. With this showerhead, you can just screw additional 4" extension tubes into each other to get the height you want. I don't know if there is some absolute "right" height, but I'd think if you used three of the tubes, you'd have the shower head bottom just under 8', or four tubes to have it at the same height as I do with my 8' ceiling.

If you think you'd want it lower, or wouldn't like the the length of that tube sticking down from the ceiling, a different option might be using a shower arm coming out of the wall -- which lets you choose any height:

-- Eric