Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Products

Posted by lisadlu (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 13:06

Hello - I have just installed marble pebble tile and LOVE it! I have two questions on maintenance. Will bleach erode grout over time? What gentle product do you use to clean natural stone/marble? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Products

I use 7th Generation Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner (spray) in our bathrooms (White Thassos marble niche walls and shelves in all three, and border tile in our MB). I had called 7th gen when I was looking for a natural stone-safe disinfecting bathroom cleaner (it's safe on SEALED natural stone according to them, but as always, a good idea to test in as inconspicuous an area as possible)). I spray it on, let sit ~10 min, and then spray some more on the tile/walls and/or my microfiber cloth, and then wipe all around and wipe dry with the cloth. No need to rinse.

o

Always use a PH Neutral cleaner.....

o

Can anyone tell me if 7th Generation is a PH Neutral cleaner? If not, is there one you can recommend that is readily available? Thanks!

o

I don't remember for sure, sorry, but they did tell me the disinfecting bathroom cleaner was safe for sealed stone. The disinfecting wipes, too. Never asked about their other products.

o

I googled 7th Generation; the company web site doesn't seem to comment about whether their stone cleaner is ph neutral, but the web is loaded with statements that it IS neutral. So it should be okay. It sounds like a good cleaner/disinfectant. I'll have to give it a try on our granite counters.

o

On our granite counters, I use alcohol-water spray that I mix up in a spray bottle, with some essential lavender oil added to the mixture ~30-50% alcohol to ~50-70% water (lavender; 20+ drops--I go by smell). According to an EPA dr with whom I'd spoken, as little as 10% alcohol in the spray bottle has anti-bacterial properties, and lavender is naturally anti-bacterial as well.

I spray it on, and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth. Streak-free shine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here