Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_and_tim

Finished bathroom!

stephanie_and_tim
12 years ago

I posted a while back looking for layout suggestions, see here.

Now the bathroom is done! We went with that layout basically.

Before:

After!

I didn't post that much during the renovations, but I certainly read LOTS and LOTS of posts, so thank you all very much!

Comments (58)

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

Really nice. Question about the outlets in the medicine cabinets...If you need to plug in your hair dryer (or anything else)do you need to keep the door open?

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ debrak: If you plugged in to the medicine cabinet, you'd have to leave it open. We have another outlet, though, just above the backsplash between the two medicine cabinets that I use for my hair dryer. We use the ones in the cabinet for things that need to be charged (toothbrushes, shavers, etc.)

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Just beautiful! I really love the changes so much. Thanks for sharing.

• pps7
    12 years ago

Love it!

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

Lovely!

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

Oh ok, I see the other outlet now. Thanks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Thanks for the faucet info, stephanie_and_tim.

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments!

@pps7, thanks for the inspiration from your bathroom! We "stole" your paint color. :)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

There is not one thing that I do not love in your bathroom. Lovely.

• lkgarn
    12 years ago

Are you happy with the quality of the vanity? I love the look of your bathroom - I would not change a thing!

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi lkgarn,
    I am quite happy with the quality of the vanity, especially for the price paid. The middle drawers tend to stick when you first pull them out, so we may try to fix that a bit with some WD40.

We wanted a particular style of vanity, so we didn't have many options. We only have 60" and the Pottery Barn Newport is 72". We found this one and a similar style one: Westwood
    But there were really no reviews that would lead us to pay twice as much for a similarly unkown vanity.

There were some reviews that did not like that the backsplash came in 2 pieces. We did a tiled backsplash and used the marble backsplash as our shower curb, so that worked out. Thanks to the contractor and tile guys for making it work!

• lkgarn
    12 years ago

Can I ask how much you ended up paying to move your plumbing? We are facing a similar layout issue and our only quote so far to move plumbing a few feet has been $5K. Very depressing!

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lkgarn, We didn't price out the plumbing seperately. We got bids for the entire job (which included adding a window, closing up external door, moving internal door, demo existing wall, etc.). We ended up paying a little more than $20k for construction costs and they threw in the shower door. We supplied the fixtures, tile, grout, window, doors, vanity, etc. Basically everything you can see. Hope that helps!

• Linda
    12 years ago

very, very beautiful!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Did you have that big window in your room before the remodel? How have you liked not having the larger mirror? Did you enlarge your space with this remodel?

Thank you for showing the finished bathroom. You have a great looking space. It is very nicely done.

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We did not have a window before. That was one thing I really wanted to get some natural light.

I actually haven't missed the large mirror at all. The medicine cabinets are mirrored on the inside as well, so that's nice, and we have the giant mirror in the closet.

We enlarged the bathroom by taking over a closet that stored the hot water heater (accessible from the outside). Last year, we moved to a tankless water heater on the wall of the house in preparation for the eventual remodel.

Old Floorplan

Rough new floorplan - the window we ended up with is 48" wide, we have a pocket door to the toilet room, no door to the bedroom

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Thanks for the before and after plan views. Great to have more space for your shower and tub.

• onelady1dog2girls
    12 years ago

Very nice outcome! Could you share how comfortable the tub is for bathing? Which model is this?

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the tub package we purchased.
    60" cast iron

It's pretty comfortable. I think a bit longer would be nice, but this is really all we had room for. I hang my feet over the end and that works out nicely!

• springroz
    12 years ago

How do you like the tankless hot water heaters? Do yours have some sort of filter to change?

The bathroom is just lovely, you did a great job designing it!

• itltrot
    12 years ago

Love that remodel! It has so many elements I want to use in mine. I've got a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. What tile did you use on the shower floor? I can't tell what color family it is in either.

2. Do you find the 54x30 water closet is plenty of room? I think ours is going to be roughly 36x60 but DH is a little concerned it will feel cramped.

3. Do you have towel racks by the shower? If not, Where do you hang them while showering?

4. Is the rain head worth it? DH wants one but we do get lots of cold days and worry about plumbing being in the ceiling/attic and freezing.

Again, I love your bathroom!

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi itltrot, Let me do my best with your questions!

1. I am not sure. DH found & purchased these and he doesn't remember, so I'll have to check the receipt. They are about the same color as the floor, but with more striation. It took some work to find a mosaic that would go with the floor tile.

2. Yes, I do feel the WC is large enough. I was a little concerned with the plan, but it's fine now. We're on the average size, in case that might factor in. Our door is 24" I believe. We had the contractor put the toilet as close to the wall as possible.

3. We don't have a towel rack by the shower. Ideally, we set the towel on the bathtub before heading in. Reality, I have to yell to DH to grab my towel for me. :/ We have a towel hook on order (from the glass company)that will go over the shower door and we'll be able to hang a towel there before showering.

4. I love the rain head! I'm glad we have both, though. Rain head is not that convienent for shampooing since you're either underneath or you're not since the waters coming straight down. I have a little routing where I do both shower heads, then just the wall shower head and then both or just rain head to finish up. :)

Good luck!!

Oh, I'll try to find the tile name for you.

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh forgot to reply about the tankless. We love it. We have a water softener and filtration that we need to change. Love having unlimited hot water!

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Beautiful job. Congratulations

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

Your before pictures had me in kind of visual trauma for a few moments, which physically calmed when moved to the after pictures.

So peaceful and clean.
    You did a fabulous job!
    Christine

• itltrot
    12 years ago

Thank you for the replies to my questions. I'd still love to know more about the shower floor tile if you come across the receipt.

• threeapples
    12 years ago

gorgeous! which hansgrohe hand shower is that? thanks!

• positano
    12 years ago

looks gorgeous!! great job, what did you use for your floor tile?

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

itltrot:
    DH found it! The shower floor tile is 2x2 pocelain mosaic Cedir Natura in color Rame.

Cedir Natura Rame

positano:
    The floor tile is Saime Zen Zero Natif light in 12"x24"

Saime Zen Zero Natif light

threeapples:
    I'm not completely sure which handshower it is. I want to say it's a Croma.
    Croma

Croma C 100 3-Jet Handshower

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the wall bar,
    Hansgrohe Axor Montreux Wallbar

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Wow! Absolutely stunning! I love the colors, the layout, the smart details (outlets in the vanities, double towel holder by the tub, etc) and everything. Also, thank you for sharing the link to the vanity you were considering at bathvanityexperts.com. They have one (which I subsequently also found on Amazon) that might just be perfect for my master bathroom. I also only have about 61" and most vanities that I find and love are in the 72" range. Thanks so much for sharing.

• jssaustintx
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! I would love to know what color of tile grout you used (and brand)for your subway tile. There seems to be some contrast, i.e. not white? Thanks!

• itltrot
    12 years ago

I thank you very much for searching the tile information out for me. I haven' been on the boards lately and by chance I checked and found your answer!!

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jssaustintx

We used LATICRETE SpectraLOCK epoxy grout in bright white.

For the floor, we used the same type of grout. I want to say in sand beige. I'd have to look on that one though.

• jssaustintx
    12 years ago

THANKS!

• kmcg
    12 years ago

I keep coming back to this thread because I'm so impressed by your design choices in this bathroom - it is a beautiful and apparently really functional space. And it happens to fit perfectly in some ways with what I'm hoping to do. So I hope you don't mind more questions as I continue to obsess about my remodel plans!

I have an 8' wall where the wc compartment and shower can go. I don't have as much depth for the shower as you do - probably only about 57-58 inches - but I think I could achieve a similar layout. If it's not too much trouble, can you tell me a few measurements, please?
    - thickness of wall between shower and toilet room
    - inside dimensions of toilet compartment
    - inside width of shower
    - measurements of the 2 glass panels on the shower - i.e., how far out does the fixed panel extend, and how wide is the door?

Also, where is the privacy door for the toilet compartment attached? On the shower side of the doorway? Does it cover the full doorway area but simply not seal? Are you glad you have it, or would no door work just as well, in terms of the amount of privacy it provides? (I can't recall whether you said frosted or clear glass - I guess that would make a difference in privacy.)

It looks like you put a light in your shower. Did you also install a fan in that area? One in the toilet room as well? (I'm trying to figure out if I can make one fan work for both toilet and shower - like by leaving an open space in the divider wall. It looks like your divider wall goes up all the way, so I'm wondering if there's some ingenious solution to the fan problem.)

Thanks for posting such an inspirational project!

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks kmcg! I will have to take measurements for you.

For the toilet compartment, we ended up going with a standard solid core pocket door. I think I gave the dimension incorrectly earlier in the thread. It's 26" wide. It has a lock and give good privacy. We have a fan in the toilet compartment and between the shower/bath.

• kmcg
    12 years ago

Thanks - that's very helpful. It can be a little overwhelming trying to figure out all the details!

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kmcg, finally got a chance to measure! Sorry it took so long.

The inside shower width is 36.5", from tile to tile.
    The wall between the toilet room and shower is about 6", including the tile on the shower side.
    The fixed shower door is 23.25" wide and the door is 27.25".
    The toilet room is 31.5" wide and 52.5" long and the door is 26" wide.

I think that's everything. Hope that helps!

• Debra Vessels
    12 years ago

Just beautiful! Thank you for all of the information. My inspiration bath would be DIY Blog Cabin 2011 Master bath and this one! I love the tub, vanity, medicine cabinet, faucets etc. Wall color and all.

• bettymnz4
    12 years ago

I like!!!!

• kmcg
    12 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to measure! The details help reassure me that I can make my design work, so I really, really appreciate your help.

• Martha Alvarez
    12 years ago

I am in the process of ordering Rohl Polished Nickel shower and faucet/tub country acqui collection fixtures (tub, dual vanity, thermostatic, separate volume control, rose rain head, hand shower on rod). I am concerned about the 8 inch rain head. I saw one bad review and no other reviews on line about it.
    1. Have you had any problems with Rohl quality on rain head or anything else?
    2. Is there a reason you didnt order their 3 function hand shower on rod? I am concerned about mixing manufacturers and not having the polished nickel match.
    3. Why did you pick the ceiling mount rather than wall on the rain head. I can't seem to figure out which way to go with this and I only have 8 foot ceilings.
    Thanks so much for posting all your info.
    Martha

• Martha Alvarez
    12 years ago

Forgot to ask, what size rain head did you get and are you happy with the size?

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

What an amazing change! I'm having serious tub envy :-)

We're in the middle of remodeling our bathroom and I really like your choices, especially your paint color and accessories. I'll need to get a sample of Gray Wisp!
    Question - Could you tell me where you found the handtowel accessory you have on the counter between the sinks? Is it a hook attached to the wall?

I ordered the PB towel ring but would rather use something like this. Thanks!

• stephanie_and_tim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MarthaSINY
    Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, let me try to answer your quesitons!

1. Have you had any problems with Rohl quality on rain head or anything else?
    No, it seems fine. We have the 8" shower head. I think it's just fine. I tend to have both shower heads on at the start and then just use the handshower (on the rod) since I like to have my head out of the stream while shampooing and such.

2. Is there a reason you didnt order their 3 function hand shower on rod? I am concerned about mixing manufacturers and not having the polished nickel match.
    No real reason. We went with the recommendation of the bath store we bought the fixtures from. They said the Hansgrohe hand shower/rod was the best.

3. Why did you pick the ceiling mount rather than wall on the rain head. I can't seem to figure out which way to go with this and I only have 8 foot ceilings.
    We went with the ceiling mount because we didn't want to have to stand close to the wall with an arm mounted rainhead. We have 8ft ceilings also, and it's no problem. We are 5'11" and 5'8", so there's still quite a bit of room there.

ddgirl2, Thanks! We ordered the PB towel rings also and ended up returning them! The handtowel accessory is free standing and we got it at Target. I just didn't feel like we had a perfect spot for a towel ring and we can always add one later if we find we miss it. So far, we haven't.

• hobokenkitchen
    12 years ago

Wow - I am in love with the vanity... so much so that we may even steal the idea. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

It all came together beautifully - congratulations!

• Janieful
    11 years ago

Hopefully you'll get this, but I wanted to ask how your Home Depot medicine cabinets are holding up. We want that exact style of cabinet, and the HD one is by far the cheapest. But then I read reviews that said the hinges couldn't hold the weight of the two mirrors. Have you found that to be the case? The only other somewhat reasonable option I can find for this cabinet is the Restoration Hardware one. But it is twice the price and people seem to be unhappy with it.