Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prefab granite top

Posted by melrsig (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 12:43

Has anyone bought the pre fab granite tops for the vanities.

If so where and are you happy with how they have held up.

I would need tops for 2 45 inch vanities.

Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prefab granite top

45" is a non standard size for prefab. 36" and 48" would be your choices. You're going to have to go custom from a fabricator.

o

I bought one from Home Depot. Looks nice, but it is not the best granite around. Even though they say it was sealed, I don't believe them and sealed it myself before adding the faucet. The porcelain used for the sink isn't the best either. The dirt seems to "stick" to it so I clean it more frequently than my other sinks. It also came predrilled with three holes so I had to go with separate handles when I would have preferred a single hole/single handle set up. The back and side splash come separately and the side splash color didn't match, so I don't have one.

Overall, am I happy with the purchase? Yes, I don't plan on taking it back or replacing it. Would I buy it again? Probably not.

o

Ours is not pre fab. We went to a granite yard and found a remnant. They cut it to our measurements. We picked it up and installed ourselves. 55" x 1.25". It was heavy.

Anyway the cost was just a little more than laminate.

o

I got a couple from a granite fabricator who had leftovers. Call around, some places charge a lot considering they are using material that has already been paid for, and are just fabricating and putting in a sink. I had the best luck with small places. I got a 47" and a 36" for around $425 total installed, including undermount sinks. Both were higher end granite, but the place I used just charged for fabrication.

o

gmp3,

Was that $425 total for BOTH counters installed WITH sinks? That's just a little over $200 each?

I thought I got a good deal with my 40" counter for $300 including fabrication, sink will be about another $80 on sale. We will be installing it ourselves.

Anyhow, there is usually far more choice in going to a granite yard and asking for remnants. It's surprising what is considered a 'remnant'. At my place, they have whole slabs that I can choose from. Still have one more bathroom to go, and just missed out on grabbing a piece of 'blue louise', not that it would go with my BR, but OMG was that a gorgeous stone!

This pic is from a previous GW post. Funnily enough, when I saw it at the granite place I said it reminds me of a Van Gogh painting, which is one of its common names!
Blue Louise photo bluelouise_zpsfd2d8a87.jpg

o

Yes it was for both, I went to 5-6 places and I bet he was slow that week so he was able to do it, it seemed to be one guy and his brother who owned the place. I just drove around the area of town with fabricators. He also charged nothing until he delivered. Later he made a 52" counter for a cabinet I added on my kitchen, and that was around $200.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here