Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melrsig_gw

Prefab granite top

melrsig
10 years ago

Has anyone bought the pre fab granite tops for the vanities.

If so where and are you happy with how they have held up.

I would need tops for 2 45 inch vanities.

Melissa

Comments (6)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

45" is a non standard size for prefab. 36" and 48" would be your choices. You're going to have to go custom from a fabricator.

• debinnh
    10 years ago

I bought one from Home Depot. Looks nice, but it is not the best granite around. Even though they say it was sealed, I don't believe them and sealed it myself before adding the faucet. The porcelain used for the sink isn't the best either. The dirt seems to "stick" to it so I clean it more frequently than my other sinks. It also came predrilled with three holes so I had to go with separate handles when I would have preferred a single hole/single handle set up. The back and side splash come separately and the side splash color didn't match, so I don't have one.

Overall, am I happy with the purchase? Yes, I don't plan on taking it back or replacing it. Would I buy it again? Probably not.

• gmp3
    10 years ago

I got a couple from a granite fabricator who had leftovers. Call around, some places charge a lot considering they are using material that has already been paid for, and are just fabricating and putting in a sink. I had the best luck with small places. I got a 47" and a 36" for around $425 total installed, including undermount sinks. Both were higher end granite, but the place I used just charged for fabrication.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

gmp3,

Was that $425 total for BOTH counters installed WITH sinks? That's just a little over $200 each?

I thought I got a good deal with my 40" counter for $300 including fabrication, sink will be about another $80 on sale. We will be installing it ourselves.

Anyhow, there is usually far more choice in going to a granite yard and asking for remnants. It's surprising what is considered a 'remnant'. At my place, they have whole slabs that I can choose from. Still have one more bathroom to go, and just missed out on grabbing a piece of 'blue louise', not that it would go with my BR, but OMG was that a gorgeous stone!

This pic is from a previous GW post. Funnily enough, when I saw it at the granite place I said it reminds me of a Van Gogh painting, which is one of its common names!

• gmp3
    10 years ago

Yes it was for both, I went to 5-6 places and I bet he was slow that week so he was able to do it, it seemed to be one guy and his brother who owned the place. I just drove around the area of town with fabricators. He also charged nothing until he delivered. Later he made a 52" counter for a cabinet I added on my kitchen, and that was around $200.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations