Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install shower receptor with two sides open

Posted by crl_ (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 12:25

As someone kindly pointed out in my shower an vs bathtub thread, the kohler cast iron shower bases are meant to be installed with walls on three sides.

At this point I am leaning strongly towards a shower pan. But I would like to have it open on two sides. The bathroom is small and I'd rather have the visual of more space. I do not want glass walls or shower doors. I want a shower curtain.

I would really prefer cast iron as that has been the easiest material for me to keep clean in the bathroom. Ease of cleaning is a very high priority for me because I am lazy!

So, I am wondering if it is possible to finish one of the edges that is meant to have a wall someway. I guess essentially building a very, very, very short (and narrow?) pony wall and tiling over it.

It seems like this should be possible, though perhaps it would be functionally awkward? Would people trip on that edge of the shower as it would be unexpected? Or other problems I am not foreseeing?

And what do you think it would look like? Would it look unfinished or awkward?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler shower pan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install shower receptor with two sides open

Instead of building a full-height wall you can indeed build a half-wall or a pony wall. Or you could build a really, really, really short pony wall, otherwise known as a "curb".

Shower curtains are helped by a little bit of "vertical curb" at the shower floor, that will prevent the bottom edge of the curtain from flopping out onto the bathroom side of the curb.

You could easily carry your curb around two edges of the Kohler pan to make it look uniform.

o

You could also use the 48" shower pan and then add a bench to one side, as shown in this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: bench next to shower pan

o

Thank you both! A "curb". That's a useful word! Thank you for supplying the vocabulary. And for the idea of carrying it around to the other open side as well.

o

crl - Here's a picture of my Kohler pan with a half wall installed on the left side. I guess you could just envision that as a really, really, short wall for your installation.

o

Two curbs would create a trip/safety hazard situation. If you do a pony wall, it needs to be at least waist height to provide visual cues as to where it is located and to provide a physical barrier as well. Otherwise, in an common situation where you close your eyes to rinse your shampoo, you can become disoriented easily and trip over the curb.

o

Wouldn't that happen with the one open side? Just trying to understand how two open sides would be different from one open side in that regard?

Thanks!

o

Because the open side will be behind you rather than to your side. Stepping back, and misjudging it, would be a real possibility and hazard.

o

Hmm. We had one of those j-shaped tubs in our first house which was this configuration, although bathtub height, of course. Definitely not waist high. Never had any issues and they are pretty common in older homes, though no longer widely available for purchase. Different because people expect it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here