Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
higgledy

ideas on renewing bath vanity

higgledy
10 years ago

Here is my ramblings:

I am looking for ideas on sprucing up a cheap builders grade, white, bathroom vanity for Christmas. It is in a small bathroom where the toilet is very close to the vanity. So close, that the side of the vanity facing the toilet is all bubbled and stained from pee (12 year old son). I am not prepared for a full remodel, but that is what this bath really needs. Painting it will hide the stains but what about the bubbling?

One option is to replace it with another cheap vanity. But then I think I could save my money for the remodel.

Another option is to fit a piece of breadboard on the toilet side. This is not a bad idea, but I have hesitations about the beadboard edges meeting the cabinet. It will need some type of moulding to make it look good. i.e. I think this will end up looking like a hatchet job.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Comments (5)

• kjo_tx
    10 years ago

I'd probably go the beadboard route since it's visible when seated on the toilet. How you can install the side of beadboard will depend on your vanity construction with your doors and drawers (Overlay? How much space between edge of vanity and doors?).

To cover the raw edge, you can use an "outside corner" and both Lowe's and Home Depot have them in a few different sizes depending how thick the piece is you need to cover. An example is linked below and it would wrap over the beadboard to the front of the vanity.

Here's one in my bathroom, we had to go for a larger outside corner due to the thickness of our wainscotting (We used 1x6s rather than the panels) but I don't even notice it anymore.

I say go the beadboard route for 2 reasons: 1) Visibility and 2) the precoated panel ones are really durable and hold up well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's Outside Corner example

• enduring
    10 years ago

If you are wanting to protect the side of the vanity from future spray, I think I would paint it with an oil based paint that will work for cabinets. The bead board will have channels that will collect the over spray (pee) and be more difficult to clean. I say use oil based paint. That stuff is strong.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Is it just the paint that's bubbled, or is the wood or MDF core actually swollen?

Regardless, sand it all flat. A sealing primer like one from Zinnser will do well to protect the vanity core and prevent stain bleed-through. Follow that primer with a couple of coats of a gloss paint, they wear better than the lower sheen paints.

Hand your 12-year old a sheet of sandpaper and let him do the prep. Or at least have him help you with the work.

When you approve of his work, hand him a paintbrush and a quart of paint.

The hard thing to do is to hold your kids accountable for their sloppiness.

The easy thing after finally doing it is wondering why you didn't hold them accountable sooner. Don't take any of that as parental judgement or criticism. I've coached several youth sports teams. I've lead cub/boy scout and girl scout troops. Doesn't matter the age or the sex. If you entrust kids to fend for themselves, if you have them clean up after themselves, they simply become more careful. And more aware.

• enduring
    10 years ago

What Mongoct says :)

• higgledy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I bought the bead board this afternoon and will install next weekend. mongoct: no worries my kid has been informed that he will be helping with the fix. But not so much as a punishment more as a learning opportunity. Next weekend, I plan to teach him to replace a hall light fixture too.