Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of soap dishes/shelves to put in subway tile shower

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 11:37

if I am going for a vintage/older look? The shower can't accommodate a niche, so we need to put shelves in, but I'm curious if anyone has any good ideas for the best material to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of soap dishes/shelves to put in subway tile shower

I did a 24" x 6" marble shelf along the back wall of the tub that fit into the corner on one side and was rounded on the other.

You could just do:
http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=53

Or something from Plum Street

These are super basic but it was the classic choice for decades.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plum Street

o

Yes, those built-ins palimpset posted would give a very authentic vintage look. In my new subway shower, I have a niche but also added a small corner basket-type shelf in polished chrome - Hotelier by Ginger. Got it on sale, and it was a perfect supplement to the niche.

o

I used Ginger corner baskets and love them. I used 2, one over the other. Same size, the bottom one holds the soap. Lots of big bottles fit in them.

o

If we have well water the Ginger ones may corrode, right?

o

"If we have well water the Ginger ones may corrode, right?"

No, they won't "corrode" but they may get rust stains or other mineral deposits on it. Just like all of the innards of your pipes and other plumbing fixtures.

If you have well water, you need to get it tested and treated accordingly. Or else you will have an ongoing problem with maintaining your home's water contacting surfaces. And all of those expensive faucets and shower valves may need to be bought again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here